Premed 101 Forums

2nd degree? grad school? stay an extra year?

I was wondering what the best option was in terms of getting into medical school. I am currently at Queen's University in my fourth year I had a poor first two years (GPA 3.5 and 3.16 according to OMSAS) and my third year was 3.66 (again according to OMSAS). But in my third year I did take an extra half credit (5.5 credits instead of the usual 5.0) and if I drop my lowest grade I would have a 3.76 which would be awesome! I am on the fence about applying to master's but I don't have any research experience so I think I might find it difficult to get in anywhere.

I've heard that 2nd degree is always an option and understand that certain credits can be transferred so you can get it in a shorter time. I was also debating doing a 5th year and see if that would help my GPA I currently have a 3.95 from the first semester and hopefully will be able to pull off above 3.7 .

I was also wondering if US universities consider 5th years or would they consider and look at my application differently if I did a masters? Any advice would be awesome !

As long as you get a 3.8> GPA by the end of this year, you're in a pretty good position for queens, western and Dalhousie. Keep in mind that's contingent upon how well you do on the MCAT.

I always say, keep your options open...apply to some masters program, and apply to a second-degree program. Meanwhile, try to kill your MCAT this summer. Your MCAT score is going to determine your path next year.

good luck defining your path

________

TOYOTA COROLLA E20 HISTORY

With your last two years, as the above poster has mentioned, you are eligible gpa wise based on past statistics for queens,western, and dal and other schools that have modified two year admission processes.

The option of returning for a second degree is attractable for students who only have 1 year or no years above the cutoffs.

Thanks for the advice. This forum is a great idea and its good to hear from people who understand the process. I have written my MCAT this summer and got a 36R, however I did score only a 10 on the verbal and considering the Western cut off of a 11 i feel like a rewrite is in my future. I was wondering if a research masters was absolutely necessary or would a practicum/course based masters also be good as the Clinical Anatomy program at Western looks good along with some pathologist assistant's ones

Thanks!

As long as you get a 3.8> GPA by the end of this year, you're in a pretty good position for queens, western and Dalhousie. Keep in mind that's contingent upon how well you do on the MCAT.

I always say, keep your options open...apply to some masters program, and apply to a second-degree program. Meanwhile, try to kill your MCAT this summer. Your MCAT score is going to determine your path next year.

good luck defining your path

For most schools, they dont look at your 4th year GPA if you're applying during your 4th year since the marks arent out yet. If you want to use the 4th year GPA, you'd have to apply during the 5th year.

• 2 months later...
For most schools, they dont look at your 4th year GPA if you're applying during your 4th year since the marks arent out yet. If you want to use the 4th year GPA, you'd have to apply during the 5th year.

I didn't get in this year and am graduating. Debating between a year off (thesis publication & volunteering, no courses) and Master's. So I'm curious...if I decide to do a Master's, are undergrad marks weighed less heavily?

I have a strong undergrad GPA, so I'm wondering whether taking the year off would be better than missing a cycle and applying as a grad.

Archived