Premed 101 Forums

interview personality

RoyalFlush

Can you still get in even if you are fairly introverted (ie. not as comfortable as many others at talking to people)? Are they looking for personality per say, or if you come off as kind and professional, and answer the questions well, while maybe not being very outgoing is that okay too? I am just under the impression that a lot of the people I meet have very outgoing personalities...

Well now with the MMI, it's not enough to just have a "good personality". Now you also need to be compassionate, show empathy, think on your feet, have good problem solving skills, be knowledgable about current events.....lol oh man....

So I guess if you're a little introverted but you show all of the above skills, you'll have an advantage over someone who's outgoing but doesn't have a clue about what's going on in today's society.

Can you still get in even if you are fairly introverted (ie. not as comfortable as many others at talking to people)? Are they looking for personality per say, or if you come off as kind and professional, and answer the questions well, while maybe not being very outgoing is that okay too? I am just under the impression that a lot of the people I meet have very outgoing personalities...

I think that introverts can get in just as well as extroverts. Its just that more extroverts tend to apply.

So long as you can answer the questions, know your stuff, and can carry out a professional conversation about a particular topic for 8 minutes at a time, you're fine.

Whether you are introverted or extroverted, I think that interviewers are more interested in your thought process, your life experience and how you communicate. If you are so introverted that you have no life experience, then you have a problem but I am sure that isn't the case. Be confident in your abilities, but not arrogant, and personable and you will be fine.

Good luck!

• 2 weeks later...
Guest viscous

you have to be an extrovert to succeed in an interview. Being an introvert makes you appear reserved even though you answer questions succinctly and are kind and humble. Not liking to have a conversation with people, except on just your favorite topics, is a red flag.

Archived