Premed 101 Forums

western?

Guest wab8611

Guest Elaine I

Western counts your GPA of your best ONE year (minimum 5.0 credits, no repeats) at the time of application when granting interviews. Acceptances are conditional on having TWO years EACH above the minimum GPA (minimum 5.0 credits, no repeats).

Elaine

Guest aneliz

Elaine is correct... if your best full time year is above the current year cut-off (which will be set in January for those of you applying right now), you will get an interview. (Of course you also need to meet the MCAT cuts!).

In order to receive an offer, you must also have completed, by no later than Aug of the year in which you are applying, a second, full time undergrad degree, from the same degree program as your first 'best year' that is also above the cut.

UWO does not look at any of the other years you have completed, or any other degrees you may have completed.

Guest kerpal85

Western's website is saying that the MCAT cutoffs are now 8, 8, and 7, which are lower than last year's. Will these go up again as they receive all the applications or will they actually stay at this level? thanks.

Guest blinknoodle
Western's website is saying that the MCAT cutoffs are now 8, 8, and 7, which are lower than last year's. Will these go up again as they receive all the applications or will they actually stay at this level? thanks.

Actually, the GPA and MCAT cut-offs are officially determined in January and are based completely on the applicants for that year (so that there will be ~450 interviews). I find it unlikely that the cut-offs will be 8s this year, but this will depend on those that apply.

Guest susanfitz

I wonder if a moderator would comment on the information on the medicine admissions page (in red, "new requirements for admission" for 2005-2006 application cycle) that posts the gpa and mcat cut-offs that kerpal85 refers to. (8,8,7.O) This is something new for Western and I am wondering if they will still post cut-offs in January. Why have they listed these minimum cut-offs if they will change again? Are they choosing their applicants for interview differently this year???

I am a little confused.

Guest aneliz

I am not sure exactly what is going on... I will see what I can find out for you. The MCAT cuts may change from the minimums that they have posted...this may be just a 'they won't be lower than' cut off... and if they don't (and they keep those MCAT cuts...) the GPA will have to go WAY up to get 450 people to interview (think like 3.85-3.9) or they will need to start choosing their interviewees differently (not just meet cuts = interview)

I will see what I can find out on Monday.

Guest Elaine I

Interesting - UWO still doesn't require a supplementary application, so they won't have any additional information other than our sketch and reference letters... In addition, the clause about conditional offers leads me to think that the cuts are still to be set (higher than those currently posted): "Applicants who receive conditional offers will be informed of the exact GPA requirement at the time the conditional offer is being made."

Aneliz, I look forward to learning what you find out.

Elaine

Archived