Premed 101 Forums

Is graduate funding absolutely necessary in 1st year?

Hey everyone. So is graduate funding in 1st year of a Master's degree absolutely necessary in order for a student to be considered as competitive for the med app? I originally was going to do a 5th year to bump up my gpa but I later decided to do a Masters instead since my gpa is not exactly on the low end of the spectrum. Anyway, I made my decision too late and now I can't apply for any of the graduate funding scholarships because most of the deadlines have already passed and all the ones that are left have imminent deadlines. Admittedly, this is my fault but will I be in a disadvantaged position for med because of this? How can I redeem this?

Thanks.

PS: How low does someone's gpa need to be to have to do a 5th year or a 2nd undergrad? Let's speak OMSAS cGPA and/or best 2 years. Much appreciated.

Hey everyone. So is graduate funding in 1st year of a Master's degree absolutely necessary in order for a student to be considered as competitive for the med app? I originally was going to do a 5th year to bump up my gpa but I later decided to do a Masters instead since my gpa is not exactly on the low end of the spectrum. Anyway, I made my decision too late and now I can't apply for any of the graduate funding scholarships because most of the deadlines have already passed and all the ones that are left have imminent deadlines. Admittedly, this is my fault but will I be in a disadvantaged position for med because of this? How can I redeem this?

Thanks.

PS: How low does someone's gpa need to be to have to do a 5th year or a 2nd undergrad? Let's speak OMSAS cGPA and/or best 2 years. Much appreciated.

I highly doubt it..the impact of grad school on the application looks minimal..undergrad is all they care about..

best 2 years...3.8 or above in each yr should suffice..

but u can probably get accepted with 3.6 (yes it exists) and even 3.0 (yes it exists)...but chances are lower

Archived