Premed 101 Forums

Value of research in an unrelated field?

Hey everyone,

I may have the opportunity to work as a summer student in a very prestigious lab doing some cutting edge research with neuronal regeneration in brain injuries with a heavyweight neurosurgeon. However, I am not considering neurosurgery as a career option, although I am leaning towards a surgical subspecialty; possibly urology, ortho, or ophtho.

If I were to take this summer position I will know I will hate it (I abhor bench work, and was already warned about the hours required in the lab). However, I am not averse to sacrificing this summer so as to gain a weighty referee and great poster/publication for my CV, especially since this researcher in located in my hometown and preferred location for residency.

My question, and I'm hoping some upper-year med students can weigh in on this, is whether this project would help me in matching to other competitive surgical specialties in the future? The alternative would be to do some pre-clinical electives.

What do you guys think?

Thanks in advance.

If it were just hard work, I would be inclined to take the position as it does sound like a good opportunity.. however, you have to assess how much your abhorrence of benchwork would affect your likelihood of a successful summer. I'm not sure why you are not having any luck finding other research opportunities at your school - I do know people who have gone to other institutions over the summer, but usually they were interested in going away for residency.

That being said, are you in first year and undecided about a specialty? Gaining firsthand exposure to many different areas early on through electives is a good idea, as it can become stressful/difficult to switch paths late in clerkship (when people change their minds after experiencing different rotations). If you can figure out now where your focus lies, you can do research during the summer after second year.. set up contacts now during electives.. maybe get in on a case report if you are keen.

Archived