Premed 101 Forums

How busy is O week?

Guest snowpea

Guest snowpea

I just wanted to know because I can't move into my apartment until Aug 31 (yep, I know :rolleyes ) and I need to do little things... like buy furniture!

Guest michca

Glad to hear I am not the only one who is moving in Aug. 31st! Are there any events planned for the Labour Day weekend? That's when I am planning on moving in most of my furniture. Until then, I think I'll have to survive with a suitcase of clothes and an air mattress :P

Seriously, though, any ideas on how busy we will be during orientation week would be appreciated. A schedule would be even better!

Guest ubcpath

This is what I was emailed by the Oweek conveners:

In terms of mandatory events, nothing is really mandatory in the sense that if you don't attend, you won't graduate!

Definitely plan on being there for 'white coat', which is the morning of the 31st.

After a couple of hours off, that evening we have a dinner/pub crawl. The next morning you have an 'intro to meds', put on by the council folowed by a theme party in the evening (afternoon off). You can sleep in the next day until we have a scavenger hunt at 1, 3h off, followed by another event in the evening.

Saturday and sunday are low-key, with an 08vs09 competition Saturday afternoon, and events in the evening (nothing sunday during the day)

Guest chiapet921

Hi there~

Well, about O-week...its only as busy as you make it to tell you the truth...you may meet new friends instantly and decide to hang out more, or you may wish to spend your time just unpacking and getting oriented to the city (but you have LOTS of time to do that, and part of O-week IS to get you adjusted to London) but since your White Coat falls on a Wed this year, there WILL be events on Thurs and Fri (I'm pretty sure of that) but the long weekend will be slower in terms of events...I can let you guys know more as soon as the O-week leader's schedule comes out...unless you've all already received an O-week schedule in your offers...

Guest CalicoKal

Do you think we'll have the Sunday AND the Monday without activites? I'm not going to miss anything planned, but I'm wondering if I could make it up to a cottage for the end of the long weekend...

Guest ploughboy

-----BEGIN PGP SIGNED MESSAGE-----

Hash: SHA1

Hey chiapet,

We haven't received an o-week schedule yet (or at least I haven't, I guess I shouldn't presume to speak for the entire class), so any info you can provide would be great. I need to be out of London for a day or so at some point during o-week, and although the timing is flexible it would be nice to have my plans settled sooner rather than later...

Snowpea and michca - don't feel bad, I'm moving in on the 29th (but I've got a sweet apt so I don't mind the last-minute rush).

Cheers,

pb

-----BEGIN PGP SIGNATURE-----

Version: GnuPG v1.2.3 (MingW32)

iD8DBQFC+4zo/HNgbK3bC2wRAgSuAJ4vTTV2FrHvHsWj15Lmwcju/6z6BQCfYcqC

BkO0U5eKHVQ4TBFLlqL3EKw=

=nHPC

-----END PGP SIGNATURE-----

Guest therealcrackers

None of the activities in O-week are MANDATORY, except the ones organized by the administration of the school. A lot of students over the years have had to move in on the 31st of August (myself included), so those people just break away to do their moving, then catch up again when their schedule permits.

Guest ubcpath

It seems people in this thread missed my post above. I emailed the O-week Conveners and they emailed me what I pasted above. It doesn't have dates and times but it does have a rough idea of the O-week activities.

Archived