Premed 101 Forums

waitlist moves!

Guest renaissanceman9

Guest moment2005

Just got a message from Darla on my answer machine, she asked me to call her back as soon as possible. Does that mean I'm in?? :rollin

Guest TimmyMax

Hey,

Most likely it does- it's not like Darla is going to call you to tell you that you've been waitlisted or rejected!

Give her a call first thing in the morning- assuming that you can sleep tonight!!! ;):D

Best of luck!

Timmy

Guest TimmyMax

Nice work!!! You must be very, very proud! Enjoy the rest of your summer and maybe I'll see you in Febuary or whenever the 4th years come back to UWO! :D

Best of luck!

Timmy

• 2 weeks later...
Guest Twin Tulip

The boards have been quiet....anyone hear anything last week or this week? I know last Friday was the day provisional acceptances became firm -- anyone have a clue how this will affect the waitlist in the next few days/weeks? The wait is killing me...and I'm starting to lose hope...any more information would be greatly appreciated!

Tulip

Guest byronique

Hi, waitlisters:

I have just withdrawn my offer from Western to head to U of T this fall. So 1 more spot for you kids, hehe :D Good luck, everyone!!

Guest UWOMED2005

Hey Twin Tulip. . . don't forget it's only a very small percentage of UWO applicants/students who post here.

The list could easily be moving even if nobody is posting.

Good Luck! :)

Guest therealcrackers

I spoke to Darla...

she said she would e-mail me when the class is full so I could post the information on this forum.

Guest ploughboy

-----BEGIN PGP SIGNED MESSAGE-----

Hash: SHA1

"I love it when a plan comes together." - Col John "Hannibal" Smith, The A-Team

Take heart, waitlisters, the list is still moving!

Darla called me Tuesday afternoon, and I finally got speaking with her this morning (the next time you see Darla, ask her about the crazy guy who left his cell phone in his car...). I picked up my package (including an extra letter -- thanks Seymour!) this morning in person, and met Darla. What a nice lady she is!

I tried my best to find out how the waitlist was going, but she was pretty closed-mouthed about that. She did say that I was *not* the last firm acceptance, so there are still spots yet to be filled.

She also said that registration packages will be mailed out Monday of next week.

Looking forward to seeing all of you in the fall!

pb

-----BEGIN PGP SIGNATURE-----

Version: GnuPG v1.2.3 (MingW32)

iD8DBQFCzVhn/HNgbK3bC2wRAnH8AKCNlukt4X/So7dYooTG0mwxPOzS0gCeP8XG

BG71ZYPdl/0LwpBwCMnRd9k=

=LgEh

-----END PGP SIGNATURE-----

Guest Frustror

Is this the time where the bulk of the offers have already been out?

Looks like many posters expect the waitlist to close around now...

Like how many spots are we talking about remaining?

Guest aneliz

The rumours that I have heard are that the UWO class is very close to full for next year... however, it isn't over until registration day... there have been a few 'no shows' for the first day of school in the past!

Guest everyoneloveschem

When someone no-shows for med school does the school follow up to try and determine why (illness, death in family, etc)? Or do they just shrug and call someone else?

Guest MDlisted

I may be grasping at nothing here, but when you say "Very" close to full, does that mean it is safe to start confirming back-up plans? Or will there maybe be a few more offers sent out?

Guest aneliz

There will always be a 'few' more offers sent out as the summer goes on... and by that I mean one or two here and there as individual people back out for whatever reason... no more 'rounds' of offers will be going out from UWO.

I would say it is probably time to start firming up plan B... but it isn't totally over until registration happens in Sept...

Guest mduwo

congrats to all those that got off the waitlist. hope that those on the waitlist will have a chance to get in even if it'll be on the first day of class.

i have a question regarding final transcripts. is there any way to verify that uwo will take only the best 5 credits from the current year to satisfy the cutoff requirement? the reason why i am asking is that if uwo did not take the best 5 credits from the year and just took the gpa calculated by omsas (which includes 5.5 credits from my current year), i will not be able to meet the cutoff. if that's the case, would uwo still send out an offer should i come off the waitlist. i understand that there is a ranking of the interviewed applicants that includes only one year above the gpa cutoff, but if uwo checks the gpa from the current year from the final trancript before sending out the offer and made a mistake with calculating the best 5 courses, then one would lose the chance to receive an offer when he/she comes off the waitlist. any insights on this would be appreciated!

i've read some postings in the past that mistakes were made by uwo admissions in granting interviews, so mistakes are possible. would it be wise to send an email to ask uwo about this?

thanks!

Guest iceapatel

mduwo,

Your general understanding seems right... UWO will rank you post-interview based on your best greater-than-or-equivalent-to-3.7 year as it stood last October (ie. when you first applied). If you only had one year above 3.7 at the time, your current 2004-2005 year's GPA, as reflected in your final transcripts, would have to be at least 3.7. If it isn't, then even if you are 'next' on the waitlist, you will *not* be offered a spot in this year's class.

So, to get to the point... if I were you, I would send a polite-sounding e-mail to admissions... telling them of your situation on the waitlist. Just say you want to make sure they calculated your GPA correctly, since you're concerned that the normally assumed 5.0 courseload doesn't apply in your case... since you have 5.5 courses in your final year. Hopefully they should get back to you, although I can make no guarantees... they are usually pretty busy. I don't see what else you can really do, especially this late in the application process.

Good luck!

Anish

Guest Twin Tulip

Just a note to say that Darla phoned me today with an offer! So while the offers are rolling at this point, and not sent out in batches anymore, the good news is that the waitlist is definitely STILL MOVING...and I got the impression that she didn't expect the class to be full for around another two weeks or so.

If you're still waiting...don't give up hope!

Guest mduwo

thanks for the reply, iceapatel and congrats to you, twin tulip! hope that darla will continue to keep on calling those on the waitlist!

Guest michca

Just wanted everyone to know that the Western waitlist is still moving-I got the call 2 days ago. :rollin :rollin I'm in Europe right now so things are a bit crazy here trying to organize things.

Also, they are still making offers for the Schulich scholarship (woohoo!)

Looking forward to meeting you guys this September!

And good luck to those still waiting!

Archived