Premed 101 Forums

Leaving a Thesis based Masters after first year

Hey Guys,

I am currently enrolled in an MSc program. I've always wanted to go into medicine but always enjoyed doing research (but never aspired to it being my full time job.) I told my supervisor about wanting to do medicine and he was supportive of the idea (his wife is an MD/PhD and collaborates with TONS of MDs). So when I started in September I wanted to try to get an interview to Ottawa because I had a pretty crappy MCAT and also my first year marks got dropped. This caused me to be pushed over the wGPA cutoff.

Anyways, I alerted my supervisor that I was doing this. While not thrilled about the prospect of me leaving he was still supportive. He even offered to write me a reference. So four months later and I am here with an interview to Ottawa.

So I am kind of confused...Ottawa seems not worried that I am in my first year of my masters (no word of it on there website and in the formal education details on OMSAS shows my expected graduation from my masters to be July 2011) or they wouldn't have given me an interview right? (if I would have applied to U of T they would have rejected me right away) And Ottawa never asked for a letter from my supervisor letting them know that he is aware of my application. Also, I've read people saying leaving your masters mid-way through can come off as unprofessional so I am a bit worried about this upcoming interview....What do you guys think?

Ocho

If it comes up in the interview I would explain that you had alerted your supervisor from the beginning and that he was supportive.

I would only consider it unprofessional if you either A) hadn't bothered telling him at all or B) dropped it as a bombshell with short notice. Since you made him aware from the start, and he even offered to write you a LOR, I don't see how it could be interpreted as unprofessional.

Best of luck to you!

i've dealt with my own problem similar to this before.

uottawa did not stipulate that you must complete your current degree, unlike other schools. meaning you're free to do whatever from their end. it would, then, only be unprofessional if you dealt with your leaving on your supervisor's end in an abrupt or otherwise unfavourable way. and the schools would only know about it if your supervisor goes out of his way to write a letter of complaint pointing you out. i'm sure that's happened before.

if your supervisor is on good terms with you leaving, there are no problems.

I know a guy who did this at McGill. It's not unheard of. Like the other posters have said, since you kept him in the loop from the beginning AND he wrote you a (presumably strong) LOR, you're in little danger of appearing non-professional. If you gain acceptance and want to finish your MSc, you could ask for a deferral (not sure how likely it is that UOttawa would grant it in this case, but not asking means that there would be a 0% chance).

Your supervisor is awesome, BTW.

Yeah I know hes great. He is a lot different from other supervisors that I have had in the past. On a side note, I turned down his LOR. I got another prof to write one due to the fact she taught me in a course and was also my co-supervisor for my thesis. I thought she would be a better judge of my character. But the point is that he offered. Also, I could come back part time and finish it in the summers OR I can finish it after I am done medical school (if I even get in)

• 1 year later...

So I basically have the same problem..

I wrote the MCAT before but bombed it and so I bought myself some time with this master's...but I also did really well academically this year and racked up some amazing ECs (i.e. research awards, etc.) this summer and so I think I'd have a good shot at Ottawa, but I don't know my supervisor THAT well and I'm afraid about killing all rapport if I tell him in the beginning of the year...or if and when I get admission. How would you guys go about doing this? If I don't get in, it'll also be pretty awkward..

Please reply..this is causing me so much anxiety!

Thanks!

Look at it from the profs' perspective. Its not a good thing for them, because they suffer the loss of a worker in their lab, but they understand that people change their minds, research isn't for everyone, etc, etc. People quit grad school without finishing fairly often. Remember that they pay you very little and they know it, so there is little incentive to stay if you want to do something else.

On the other hand, its just one year. You could always defer meds for a year and finish up your MSc. There are definitely advantages to having and MD+grad degree if you want to practice at an academic centre one day...

Yeah, I feel bad for my supervisors...I actually even met them the day before the application due date and was lucky enough that one of them is the head of the department at mcgill, allowing me to hand in my application later and bypass some lame formalities. So yeah, all that + kind of losing an investment is a crappy for the prof...

At the same time, I've already written the MCAT 3 times and still need a full year of physics for some of the schools I've been interested in (mostly McGill not having the MCAT requirement and all). Prerequisites aside, I don't know if I really want to attempt MCAT verbal again and if I could avoid doing all that by just getting into Ottawa, well, my life would be a whole lot easier. I'm doing organic chemistry at Ryerson right now. In terms of deferring, I recently emailed Ottawa and they said that the completing graduate studies doesn't warrant deferral. I could discuss possibly finishing my thesis the summer after 1st year med if I get in...

In terms of apporaching the situation (i.e. talking to my supers), I'm thinking right now about not telling them in the beginning but instead holding off until if/when I get an interview and if I feel good about it...I wouldn't want to kill the rapport I have with them right at the beginning of the year, especially if I don't get in.

Let me know your thoughts/what you would do/how would you do it!

There's very few instances where not getting an LOR from your graduate supervisor is the right way to go. You should tell him now and ask for him to write a letter on your behalf. Even if you've been with the supervisor only a few months, a letter from him/her outlining your professionalism and honesty about your circumstances can go a long way. Dropping it on them 'once you've gotten an interview' is really lame and disrespectful. Moreover, if you do not get in that cycle, good luck getting a good reference from the supervisor for the next cycle and by then it's expected that you have one from him given such a long interaction.

For at least some of the Ontario schools, if you're a current grad student you have to have have either a letter of recommendation from your supervisor or a letter stating that they are aware of your application if you aren't getting a letter of recommendation from them. So they'll have to know about it before interview time.

Yeah, I feel bad for my supervisors...I actually even met them the day before the application due date and was lucky enough that one of them is the head of the department at mcgill, allowing me to hand in my application later and bypass some lame formalities. So yeah, all that + kind of losing an investment is a crappy for the prof...

At the same time, I've already written the MCAT 3 times and still need a full year of physics for some of the schools I've been interested in (mostly McGill not having the MCAT requirement and all). Prerequisites aside, I don't know if I really want to attempt MCAT verbal again and if I could avoid doing all that by just getting into Ottawa, well, my life would be a whole lot easier. I'm doing organic chemistry at Ryerson right now. In terms of deferring, I recently emailed Ottawa and they said that the completing graduate studies doesn't warrant deferral. I could discuss possibly finishing my thesis the summer after 1st year med if I get in...

In terms of apporaching the situation (i.e. talking to my supers), I'm thinking right now about not telling them in the beginning but instead holding off until if/when I get an interview and if I feel good about it...I wouldn't want to kill the rapport I have with them right at the beginning of the year, especially if I don't get in.

Let me know your thoughts/what you would do/how would you do it!

(bolded, mine)

I've worked in 2 labs and seen how much a supervisor invests in a student. I've also seen a PhD student leave after 2 years because they felt the lab wasn't exactly what they wanted and switched to a different lab. My supervisor was cool with it because it was a serious and well thought out decision (not to mention- really courageous).

If you plan to drop your masters after 1 yr if you get into meds, you should tell your supervisor before you begin. Failing to do so, and telling him after is indecent and not nice. There's a reason for the stigma attached to premed masters applicants.

Most profs probably wouldn't agree to such a precondition. Some will though. It's your job to find one willing to accept you on this basis, or complete a 2 yr masters and apply during your second year of masters.

I don't mean to sound harsh but hiding your intentions to drop if you get into meds and bombing the news later is the kind of thing that gives premeds a bad reputation with the academia.

you made a mistake going into graduate school when you simply wanted to "kill time". Delaying letting them know your intentions is most likely just going to create a very sour relationship later.

If you have no interest in doing the M.Sc. at all, why not leave it? It sounds like you haven't even started it yet. If I was your supervisor, I'd be much happier knowing you aren't in it for the long haul and back down before investing time and effort into training you.

• 3 weeks later...

hey buddy!!

please dont stop the masters..i was in a similar position...i hated my project,prof, the people i worked with....i was in the lab for 3 years and i still didnt have a guy say hi to me!!

grad life sucks!! everyone knows this..but the struggle will be worth it..that piece of toliet paper diploma..at least you can say i did it!! not to many people say they can..incl doctors (almost 90% dont even know how to spell research and still run labs!!)

-- if you drop out you will be black flagged...i dont think that it would look good when only 10% of applicants are accepted...

jus close your eyes and get it over with..2 yr , 3 yrs, 4 yrs..jus keep bugigin the prof..i wanna leave!! hell get the idea

Archived