Premed 101 Forums

MCAT - Verbal Reasoning

brady23

For the Verbal Reasoning, should I take as many social science and humanities courses as possible? Would taking law, history, politics, etc. help with this section? Would english help?

They might, but what will definitely help is practising VR problems under test conditions (i.e. timed and with an appropriate amount of questions).

Your best bet for VR practice is the multitude of MCAT prep material and courses available to you (Examkrackers 101 Passages in MCAT Verbal Reasoning comes to mind).

hey folks,

i had a question regarding time alotted to each passage. i know i should probably do the entire test at once, to stimulate the exact conditions. However, i have started off by doing passages for the EK 101 VR. So far, i have been successful at doing each passage (including answering questions) in less than 9 minutes. Do you think that is sufficient or should i improve? As soon as i am able to get the hang of it, i will probably start doing the entire test at once. Any opinions?

:)

i should also mention, that i have been scoring well..within the 9 minutes. a whole bunch of perfect scores.

hey folks,

i had a question regarding time alotted to each passage. i know i should probably do the entire test at once, to stimulate the exact conditions. However, i have started off by doing passages for the EK 101 VR. So far, i have been successful at doing each passage (including answering questions) in less than 9 minutes. Do you think that is sufficient or should i improve? As soon as i am able to get the hang of it, i will probably start doing the entire test at once. Any opinions?

:)

i should also mention, that i have been scoring well..within the 9 minutes. a whole bunch of perfect scores.

Under 9 minutes is a good start, but ideally you want each passage read/answered in around 8 minutes so that you have a little bit of buffer room for the entire 60 min VR section.

Don't take courses you won't like just to prepare for the Verbal section. If you want to read different kinds of content to be more well versed, just log on to JSTOR (your University should have a subscription to the site) and read random essays from time to time.

However, if you are actually interested in the other areas with those humanities courses, by all means take them. I just remember being in Undergrad and being stuck choosing between courses I wanted to take and courses I had to take and being disappointed that I missed out on a lot of things I wanted to take because I didn't have room in my timetable due to requirements or time conflicts. Take courses that you will enjoy (and of course do well in).

Use the prep books that are available and that is more than what you should need.

Archived