Premed 101 Forums

CEGEP to University -- Help!?

HopefulMii

Hi,

I finally graduated cegep (it took me 2 and a half year since my first year was spent in social science, and then I transferred to health science and finished it in 1.5 years).

Obviously, I'd like to consider med as my future career, the problem is, my R-score is considerably low for the pre-med program (It is 29.748, my average is exactly 80%, including the social science courses...I don't know if those will count or not).

I attended Vanier College by the way, if that does any difference, I am from Montreal, Quebec.

Now, I have a friend who attended one year of university and then re-applied into Med and got in, he was in pharmacologie and had an r-score of about 32 or something.

He told me it was all strictly about the GPA, getting kick-ass grades in university, and he told me he did no volunteer work at all. I do volunteer work at St-Justines hospital as well as the General Montreal Hospital.

Anyhow, my question is, what program should I apply to (for this fall semester, the deadline is in 2 weeks), in order to later on re-apply into med. I'd obviously like it to be a program that, if in case I don't get into Med, I can still enjoy the job. So biochemistry or biology or chemistry is out of the question, I'm not that much into research.

I'm also aware that apparently certain programs are more well looked upon then other programs, but I talked to a Med resident, and he told me he had friends that were from Arts programs in University, or History, and they got in because the universities want students from a variety of programs and not only from more common programs such as biochem (no offense to biochem people).

Therefore, I was thinking maybe nursing was a good way to go...? I truly want to help people in a health-related way, and nursing seems like a program in which I could get good grades (not sure though...anyone with experience on whether or not it is hard or not?). But I'm not sure if that would be a good choice seeing as how I intend on re-applying into med after one year, or two years at the most.

Could anyone help me out? Any program suggestions? University suggestions?

Thanks for the help in advance,

Mii

PS: I forgot to mention, for those who don't know, I was told that for everyone 2 credits of university, 1 credit of cegep gets replaced...and I have a CRU instead of a CRC...not sure what happens to the GPA thing though..

Concordia University, Loyola Campus, B. Sc. in Exercise Sciene - with a Sepcialization in swhat you would enjoy, e.g., Clinical Exercise Physioloy, Athletics (I believe they have 2 Specializations). You get to apply the theoretical knowledge you acquire, thereby reinforcing it, pateient experience, communication skills, in clinical, you get to work with the chronic elderly - prepares you for entry into healthcare field as a backup if this is where you are aiming and also gives you good backkgfround for med. Join EMS with Cote St. Luc. Top grades are obtainable if you are willing to work hard.

Your grades at Cegep dont come into play if you are getting your Bachelor's.

Is it necessary for me to acquire my bachelor's degree though? I've heard/seen (through my friend) that you can switch to Med after one year of university. I heard that all french Universities (language is not a problem to me) accept students into the med program who have finished CEGEP and done at least 1 year of university...and I heard that certain Ontario universities such as McMasters do so as well. I know that Mggill doesn't however...

Is my r-score good enough in order to re-apply after one year or is it a no-choice thing that I need my bachelors degree to re-apply...

My grades in Cegep were what your are. I was never aware of even the possibility of getting in after just one yr of UG. In any event, my years in UG allowed me to mature, to develop a strong work ethic, to develop my study skills, communication skills and both EMS and my internships have allowed me to reaaffirm my choice of med. This so-called detour has been a most positive development. DEcades from now, it won't matter to you whether you have pracrticed for 40 years or 43 years. Enjoy the journey, getting into med school is a lottery, study what you enjoy in UG and you will do better.

Okay..

so besides exercise science...

there's also..

physiotherapy

ergotherapy

kinesology

(these are the programs I heard are greatly looked upon when applying into med afterwards)

Nursing seemed like an easy program to get in...but I'm not very interested in becoming a nurse...I'd much rather be a doctor :-( So I don't know...

Would law be a good program?

Besides Med I can't really think of anything I'd be interested in...

Med could not care less what you study for UG, only the grades are of interest. So do not take a course of study to impress med, rather take what interests you and will p rovide you with a Plan B. Law is a good program but rough to obtain the kind of grades you need for med. Well, you are interersted in med, so presumably there are other aspects of heallthcare that might be of potential interest for you should you not make it into med.

Are you sure they don't care? >< I'm really scared...

Is a program like nursing hard? :( So far I'm thinking maybe those two...I don't know anymore. This is stressing me so bad, hehe..

How come there are so many people going into biochemistry or biology then? Because I know a handful of people who have no interest in research as well but who went into those programs in hopes of getting into med...

Anyhow...hows physical therapy? I'm not sure I'd like occupational therapy but I think maybe physiotherapy could be okay...

or how about a program like psychology?

After 1 year of undergrad:

Universty of Montreal : you can apply there after 1 year of UG but the required r score for students who have not completed an UG is around 36 (very competitive, they take 5-8 students who haven't completed their UG). It becomes less competitive once you've finished your degree.

Sherbrooke: you can apply there after 1 year of UG. It's easier to get in than at UofM after 1 year of UG, but harder to get in than right after cegep.

Laval: you cannot apply there before you have completed 75 credits at the time of application (ie 3 years so you have to complete your UG)

Mcgill: you have to complete your UG

Peace

Are you sure they don't care? >< I'm really scared...

Is a program like nursing hard? :( So far I'm thinking maybe those two...I don't know anymore. This is stressing me so bad, hehe..

How come there are so many people going into biochemistry or biology then? Because I know a handful of people who have no interest in research as well but who went into those programs in hopes of getting into med...

Anyhow...hows physical therapy? I'm not sure I'd like occupational therapy but I think maybe physiotherapy could be okay...

or how about a program like psychology?

Most professional programs are hard. Nursing isn't an easy program. OTPT is very interesting but it's challenging. Still, many people manage to switch to med after their UG in these areas.

From what I've heard, biochemistry is way harder than biology and psychology.

Peace

36 r-score...? Are you sure about this...? Because according to last year stats, to get into pre-med straight from cegep, mggill asked for 32.1, and other universities were asking around 33 or 34 (max, which was UdeM)

And I heard (from my school advisor..but they're not worth much...they're really mean and try to shatter your dreams :( ) that it's easier to apply into pre-med once you've started university then once you've finished cegep.... not sure if that meant you had to have a bachelor's degree or not...

What about McMaster? Is it hard to get into there?

McMaster, to get an interview, your V score from MCAT, GPA and ABS (very short answers to 5 autobio questions) are scored equally - so if you dont ace the ABS, you are toast. And of course, no MCAT in Quebec if you are IP. And it is very difficult to get in early.

For all practical purposes, consider that you will be applying to med school during your last year of UG.

36 r-score...? Are you sure about this...? Because according to last year stats, to get into pre-med straight from cegep, mggill asked for 32.1, and other universities were asking around 33 or 34 (max, which was UdeM)

And I heard (from my school advisor..but they're not worth much...they're really mean and try to shatter your dreams :( ) that it's easier to apply into pre-med once you've started university then once you've finished cegep.... not sure if that meant you had to have a bachelor's degree or not...

What about McMaster? Is it hard to get into there?

100% sure, it's extremely hard to get into udm after 1 or 2 years of UG (I'm not talking about getting straight into premed from cegep here), and you simply cannot apply to Mcgill's premed if you're not straight out from cegep. McMaster is one of the most competitive med schools in Canada. Sorry but that's how it is, work really hard and you'll probably be fine.

I think you've misunderstood what thebouque said.

To apply during your undergrade studies, you need a R-score of around 36. It is way harder to apply during your undergrade studies than after cegep. People who achieve to get in during university usually already had competitive results in cegep (~34) and have near perfect scores in university. They also do very good during interviews and faculties' tests.

In your case, just pick the program you think you will like the most. Universities won't care about where you come from, just as they didn't care from which cegep you came from.

Archived