Premed 101 Forums

Grad school grades

hey,

i am in the second year of a thesis based MSc. i received an A- in a grad stats course, and an A in a grad research methods course. i actually took the stats as an open studies student, so the only class that shows up on my transcript as a grad student is the research methods. either way, the gpa between the two is a 3.85, but my official grad school gpa is a 4.0

now, i am not trying to feed the troll or anything, but i am just wondering if these marks would be competitive at u of c and queen's? i am rewriting the mcat this summer and am hoping for a 30 (as is everyone else i am sure).

any advice from current grad students, or current med students who entered after completing a graduate degree would be much appreciated.

thank you.

I don't think Queens tells you what criteria they use to determine if grad students get invites or not. If you're a grad student and you think you'll meet their MCAT cutoffs you should definately apply.

For Calgary ya they use your grad GPA as one of your 2 best in their initial calculations. When you make it to their full file review however, they look at everything. There are no schools in Canada that look only at grad marks.. probably because As in grad school are easier to get than Mac health sci!! kidding! (grad's probably harder :P )

Don't give up on U of T yet...they seem very earnest in their claim that they review each file individually. If you have good undergrad marks I would apply anyway.

Dalhousie counts your grad GPA as 1 year and averages it with your best two consecutive years of undergrad.

For more info The Law created a really good thread that outlines what schools take into consideration your graduate degree/marks (I believe U of S is another one not mentioned on this threat yet).

thanks for the tips about u of t and u of s. i will check those out.

my marks in undegrad are not very hot. over the course of my degree, they went, 3.25, 3.35, 3.6, and 3.97. it's kind of why i went into grad school. hoping to improve the academic portion of my application.

I have an 82 in a grad course. At my school that constitutes an A, but I remember Ottawa last year only considering marks of 85+ an A. This may be getting a bit tedious, but still curious.

not sure, you should prbly get in touch with uottawa adcom about that one. on a side note, uottawa no longer has a grad review policy, which blows. part of my reasoning for starting grad school was to have a shot at uottawa, and maybe potentially by-pass an mcat re-write. dang.

U of T will consider the grades of grad students as part of their graduate supplementary application. You're expected to maintain an A average.

guess U of T is out then. another med door slammed shut....:P

I don't think you need to worry about your grad school grades for U of T. I interpret their position as "You should be getting A's in grad school", which you have been.

This has been clarified by Toronto to mean that you must maintain an A-level average during your graduate studies; this means grades in the A- to A+ range are satisfactory.

Archived