Premed 101 Forums

Question for UWOMED2005

Guest byronique

Guest byronique

Hi, UWOMED2005:

I read that you spent your first summer in Switzerland in a clinical elective. However, when I got into that site, it seems that all the programs require people who have done some clerkship / or have some previous clinical experiences. Were you required to give them proof of your clinical experiences and etc.? How did you get the spot?

Also, how is this opportunity compared to Western's summer clinical electives (the MED010 non-credit course)?

Thank you for your time! :P

Guest UWOMED2005

No problem.

My elective was setup through the IFMSA/CFMS exchange program. I think UWO gets 4 spots - you'll find out about it around Nov/Dec.

When I arrived in Switzerland, it seemed like they were expecting a clerk. . . it wasn't really a problem though - but the experience consisted almost entirely of shadowing.

Hmm. . . I think that "summer elective" course is new. I'm vague on the details, but I think I remember hearing the "electives course" is something you now have to register for if you want to do summer electives. . . basically to cover Western's a$$. But I could be wrong there.

Guest Platinum84

I read a bit on the summer elective course a while ago. I could be wrong, but I think that the summer elective is only for within Canada - for a 4-week period (possibly extended to 6 weeks on special request).

So I guess the major difference would be within the country vs. abroad.

Archived