Premed 101 Forums

confused

lollypop4

Hey guys,

I'm wondering if you could help me out with something. I am currently in my last year of a BSc degree(with honours) and am not doing so hot, as in im getting a 3.1 cGPA. I was wondering if doing an extra degree (taking 2 years) is worth it, to enhance my application stats, or doing a masters. I wrote the MCAT got a 27R, and would need to rewrite it should i choose any of the above options. I don't know what to do.

Would Canadian schools even consider me if i chose to do a second degree?

What about American MD and DO schools?

Getting into Canada with a 3.1 would be difficult. For US MD you could get an extremely high MCAT and try because there are no strick cut-offs. So if you have a 3.1 and a high 30 on your MCAT you could probably get into a good US MD.

PS. US medschools calculate GPA differently than Canadian school. (refer to the sticky)

I think you skewed the numbers a little bit too much man. The chances of a 3.1 GPA getting into MD schools is bad, even with a good MCAT score. The chances would be approx. equal to a 3.4 GPA at Mac two years ago..

OP would prob have a better shot at DO schools. I wouldn't apply to US MD schools because it would be a waste of money.

Yes Canadian schools will still consider you with a second degree. In my opinion, a masters will not help you get over the 3.1 GPA. You would need two years of solid 3.8+ to be competitive at Canadian schools, and get a good MCAT score (11V and R in writing). I think until you improve your GPA, you will not have a good shot at Canadian schools.

If you get two solid 3.8+ years, some Canadian schools like Queen's and UWO are actually more forgiving in terms of GPA than American schools. American schools average their grades, so I believe they would average the GPA from the two degrees if you take a second degree. Masters are not given special advantages like they do in Canada, but research is definitely a plus especially at schools that value research.

I think if you want a shot at Canadian schools and American MD schools, you should take a few more years of undergrad (maybe extra non-degree years or a second degree) until your average GPA is at least a 3.7 or your last two years 3.75+ for Queen's and UWO. Write your MCAT again and decide whether you should apply to Canada/American schools or both.

Archived