Premed 101 Forums

CPR? - for the moderators

Guest squishymichy

Guest squishymichy

Hi,

I was just wondering if anyone knows if Western med students are expected to have completed a registered CPR course before Septmeber. If so, is there a specific course or level I should be looking for? Thanks

Guest blinknoodle

Yes - you will need a recent CPR and First Aid certification.. I don't think it matters which course per se - I think they wanted Basic Rescuer level C (or equivalent). They will also ask for a recent physical exam, a two-step TB test, confirmation of normal immunizations like MMR and serum antibody levels for Hep B. If you haven't been vaccinated for Hep B (or have low antibody titres), you can start the immunization once at UWO since the vaccines will be free.

Guest blinknoodle

Yes, they asked for the proof during the orientation week. For the physical, you just need a note saying you've had one in the previous 12 months and everything was ok (my family physician just wrote something like 'physical normal' on his prescription pad).

I don't remember how long the full deal of a CPR (only) course is. I took First aid and CPR together over two evenings while in undergrad (I think it is usually a weekend course though). For my CPR recert (suggested to have annually), I did it one-on-one with an instructor in under an hour.

If you think this will be a problem, I suggest emailing admissions to see whether they will be lenient wrt deadlines.

Guest UWOMED2005

Most of the First Aid/CPR courses can be done in one weekend.

They won't actually kick you out if you don't have it come Sept 1st, but Sept will be a pain trying to fit the course in. . . and eventually there are repercussions.

Archived