Premed 101 Forums

Notes? Books?

Guest CalicoKal

Guest CalicoKal

What is the system for notes at Western? Will we have powerpoint handouts to follow or is it more lectures and note taking?

Is there a required textbook list? How does it work with respect to books? Do we just kind of source out our own information sources?

Guest TimmyMax

Hey,

UWO uses powerpoint slide handouts and printed notes for every lecture, so actual note-taking is minimal, other than whatever notes you want to add in the margins or whatever.

There is not a required textbook list, although professors will recommend textbooks. Only a few of them, however, are worth having. It all depends on you, though- the profs will stress that everything that you need to know is in the course notes, but if you want a little more detail or are feeling weak in a given area, go ahead and pick up a textbook.

In reality, the only textbooks you'll really need for first year are Microbiology Made Ridiculously Simple and an anatomy atlas (go with Netter, I'd say, it is the most complete, although I do like the detail of Moore (more an anatomy textbook than an atlas) and the cadaver shots in Rohen are great to study for the anatomy practicals with, although not every structure is nicely illustrated). Anything else is extra, so add as you see fit!

Best of luck!

Timmy

Guest CalicoKal

So technically speaking then, we are getting our "medschool 101" textbook via handout lecture notes? Wow...those must be thick by the end of a semester...

Guest blinknoodle

Yes, the course note packs are quite thick (bring many binders with you)! however, they are usually well done, especially pathology.

As Timmy pointed out, the profs may recommend textbooks (and the list may be available online, I think I remember seeing something last summer), but it is purely up to you whether you actually want to buy the books. The LRC has all of the books available for overnight loans, which is usually fine and dandy for the topics not touched upon too much (you can also access some of the books online as well like Robbins' through MDConsult). Personally, I only bought Guyton's Medical Physiology book (not even the suggested text, but I didn't have a super physio background), Bates' and UofT's clinical methods books and Netter's anatomy atlas. For people who didn't have any immunology background, students' highly recommended having the immunology text (I can't recall what is was, except that it wasn't Janeway.. but Janeway is good too).

Guest Platinum84

What is a typical amount that students spend on 1st year textbooks?

Also, aside from tuition, rent, food, and living costs - what other costs are associated with first year meds?

Any equipment needed? Specific dress code for clinical sessions? Other required/recommended expenses?

Thanks!

Guest makdaddy08

To answer a few of these questions:

I spent...$250 ish on textbooks (bought the anatomy atlas and Bates) and another $150 i think for the stethescope. Some ppl invested in an otoscope/opthalmoscope which will run you anohter few hundred.

CLinical methods is business casual, some docs prefer that you wear a tie, some dont mind if its just a dress shirt/pants. Girls yeh...business casual is all i can say ahha..i'm no women's wear guru.

Archived