Premed 101 Forums

So I Got An Email From Admissions And....

I got an email from admission regarding grad school saying that the committee has reviewed my profile, but has come to a mixed review. They also said they will review it further to make a decision in the coming weeks, and for a possible interview.

Should I take this email in an optimistic approach or should I take it as a sign of inevitable rejection? I'm afraid this mixed review will end up in a bad review once they look even further into my profile, I don't know, I just feel frustrated right now and all tensed up as I complete my final year as well as pressure....

Has anyone experienced a similar situation before??

Thanks in advance

My reference letters were from profs/employers that actually knew me as a person and could actually speak on my potential, rather than a random prof who can base me on just grades. Now, the deadline isn't till a couple months, but I've submitted earlier for guaranteed consideration. I got this email two weeks after submission so I guess this could be a preliminary review, separating possible acceptances from clear rejections, and I assume they will review my profile with more rigor detail before a final decision is made, I'm just curious about the mixed reviews part....:confused:

Sometimes something like that is grad school speak for "we like you, but we're not sure if the people you might be working with have enough money to accept you", but it really could mean any number of things. I don't think it's a sign of inevitable rejection, and I don't think there's anything else you can do at this point other than what Jochi suggested. Have you applied to any other schools?

Sometimes something like that is grad school speak for "we like you, but we're not sure if the people you might be working with have enough money to accept you", but it really could mean any number of things. I don't think it's a sign of inevitable rejection, and I don't think there's anything else you can do at this point other than what Jochi suggested. Have you applied to any other schools?

Yeah, its impossible to know the exact reason, like you it could mean anything. Well, I'm not sure if I should ask the admissions if I could submit another recommendation letter, and it wouldn't be fair to the certain prof I ask in such short notice, especially within the end of the school year with exams, etc. I have applied to other school and waiting for their reply as well, the deadline hasn't past as well, but I've sent out my documents two weeks ago. I guess its safe to say to wait and hope for the best.

I can't say I've been in that situation and am actually surprised they would send you an e-mail telling you about a mixed review. If I was in your shoes, I would definitely e-mail back thanking them for the update, let them know that you'd be excited to be part of their program (something along these lines anyways) and that you're happy to provide any more information that could help with their decision (extra reference letter, etc).

Don't worry about asking for another reference in a short period of time, profs are used to it and should understand the situation you're in. Good luck!

I can't say I've been in that decision and am actually surprised they would send you an e-mail telling you about a mixed review. If I was in your shoes, I would definitely e-mail back thanking them for the update, let them know that you'd be excited to be part of their program (something along these lines anyways) and that you're happy to provide any more information that could help with their decision (extra reference letter, etc).

Don't worry about asking for another reference in a short period of time, profs are used to it and should understand the situation you're in. Good luck!

Well, I'm thinking about asking a supervisor at work, whom I know for 4 years. They can probably discuss my potential much better than a prof who will basically talk about your A in the course, which frankly, doesn't boost my application. The way I see it, I think the committee might not know enough about me as an individual in my profile. I think I might go in that direction. Thanks for the advice

• 2 weeks later...

Hi, Just first like to say I hope this works out for you. From my own experience with getting into grad school (from the advice i got from others before I applied) was to scope out supervisors first.

Find some with research interests that you like and then email them like your applying for a job ie. attach resume, write it like its a cover letter. Some supervisors dont have the space or funding. If, by chance, you find one where the interest is reciprocal though, and they would want to take you into their lab, they can really really ease the application process to the point where its more or less a formality.

Its a bit more work but it worked for me. Hope this helps.

Can I ask you what university and program this is that you are applying to? I also don't understand why they would tell you they had a mixed review.

All I can say is that its a McGill graduate program. Yeah, I also found it awkward that they emailed me about it, but at least I am being considered. They are looking to review it further. The deadline has not passed yet as well., so all I can do is wait and hope for the best.

Archived