Premed 101 Forums

Looking for advice: Want Emerg but what should I back up with?

MIKA

Hey there,

I'm pretty sure I want Emergency medicine and need advice on what to back up with. I really want the 5 year program instead of doing the 2 + 1. So this is my plan so far: I'm gonna back up with Internal and then hope to transfer into Emerg.

I have heard from people that transferring from family to the 5 year emerg is difficult b/c the government funding is only for 2 years and that I would have a better chance of transferring from the Internal program to 5 year emerg. Any thoughts on this?

And...to show interest in internal, is it best to do GIM electives or electives in sub specialties?

Appreciate anyones advice on this..Thanks, Mika.

^ In general do you advise backing up? I'm looking at a specialty that is about as competitive as emergency med but I thought it might be a better idea to load my application with that one specialty and just leave myself opening to matching anywhere in Canada.

I would back up with something but there honestly isn't anything else I'm interested in....family med would be the default because it's less of a commitment as far as time goes.

No, you don't need to apply to a backup specialty.. but you should have a backup *plan* in case you do not match despite applying nationwide. If your backup plan is to see what is left in the second round and go from there (instead of committing to a less favoured option that you ranked), that is your option.

No, you don't need to apply to a backup specialty.. but you should have a backup *plan* in case you do not match despite applying nationwide. If your backup plan is to see what is left in the second round and go from there (instead of committing to a less favoured option that you ranked), that is your option.

Thanks a ton, LF.

Internal is probably a good back-up plan for emerg - I wouldn't try to cater your electives to your second choice specialty though. You should spend a solid amount of elective time doing emerg in academic centres, and the remainer of your electives should be applicable to EM. ICU and CCU would probably be good choices since they will strengthen an application to medicine. A month of internal electives, along with a strong LOR from your CTU preceptor should be enough to earn you a few internal interviews.

If you are planning on applying across the country, you can also probably get away with backing up geographically rather than by specialty. The EM match wasn't too bad this year - most of the people on the tour matched to emerg, and many to their first choice program.

I'm pretty sure I want Emergency medicine and need advice on what to back up with. I really want the 5 year program instead of doing the 2 + 1. So this is my plan so far: I'm gonna back up with Internal and then hope to transfer into Emerg.

The common fall-back plan is to back up with family and apply to the 2+1, but it sounds like you've ruled that out for whatever reason. While it's possible to transfer into emerg from internal, a lot depends on luck, timing and factors beyond your control. With your plan you might wind up "stuck" as an internist, which may or may not the end of the world depending on your interests and goals. Just make sure your back-up is something that you can see yourself doing as a career.

I have no advice on what you should back up with, if you back up at all, as that is a personal decision based on interest etc.

However, my advice is to choose something you would actually be happy doing if you don`t get to transfer. Because transfers are not guaranteed. We have a couple of transfers in our program. But our program has also declined some transfers because of lack of spots.

• 4 weeks later...

MIKA - if you're from UBC, go into your electives and interviews with confidence. UBC students usually match well to FRCP EM every year. Granted, it is very difficult to match to a particular program, i.e. UBC Emerg only has 4 spots. But if FRCP EM is what you want, going anywhere in this country would provide an amazing education.

PO

Archived