Premed 101 Forums

OOP Waitlist

From my letter:

"On average, seats are offered to 5-7 applicants on the Maritime list and 11-15 on the non Maritime list."

I'm guessing that this is a low-ball thrown by the adcom to not give WLers as much hope... last year's WL thread showed up to 17 for OOM WLs, and in the past they've gone even higher?

Any thoughts?

I think you're right too! Unfortunately with the decisions at other schools still ~2 months away, I doubt there will be any movement until then. But congrats! I think you have a great shot based on previous movement and with so many OOPs interviewed, I think its safe to assume you interview went well!

(I know you mentioned yesterday that you were concerned rejection might speak to your interview skills)

From my letter:

"On average, seats are offered to 5-7 applicants on the Maritime list and 11-15 on the non Maritime list."

I'm guessing that this is a low-ball thrown by the adcom to not give WLers as much hope... last year's WL thread showed up to 17 for OOM WLs, and in the past they've gone even higher?

Any thoughts?

For the class of 2012, the OOP waitlist moved into the 30s before September. It may have been that they were trying to fill one last spot. That said, the waitlist certainly moved more than 11-15 spots. Congrats!

Elaine

For the class of 2012, the OOP waitlist moved into the 30s before September. It may have been that they were trying to fill one last spot.

I think that year may have been an exception. From what I remember last year, it only moved 9 spots. While 9 is certainly lower than average (from what I know), I don't think it would be wise to hold out for another year of 30+ offers going out to the people on the waitlist. 11-15 is certainly reasonable, but it never hurts to have a backup plan, just in case :).

I think that year may have been an exception. From what I remember last year, it only moved 9 spots. While 9 is certainly lower than average (from what I know), I don't think it would be wise to hold out for another year of 30+ offers going out to the people on the waitlist. 11-15 is certainly reasonable, but it never hurts to have a backup plan, just in case :).

are you talking OOM or maritime? from what i can see, it went to 16/17 last year for OOP?

are you talking OOM or maritime? from what i can see, it went to 16/17 last year for OOP?

I'm just going off of memory, so that might be where the problem's coming from, haha. But yeah, I think the year it went to 30, that was a bit of an outlier.

Agreed. I have been cleaning my office today, and ironically, came across a little piece of paper with some numbers for OOM waitlist offers from previous years:

- Sept 2002: 7

- Sept 2004: 32

- Sept 2005: mid-20s

- Sept 2006: 16

- Sept 2008: 30s

- Sept 2009: mid-teens

Best wishes to everyone!

Elaine

Agreed. I have been cleaning my office today, and ironically, came across a little piece of paper with some numbers for OOM waitlist offers from previous years:

- Sept 2002: 7

- Sept 2004: 32

- Sept 2005: mid-20s

- Sept 2006: 16

- Sept 2008: 30s

- Sept 2009: mid-teens

Best wishes to everyone!

Elaine

wow, that's amazing... how did you get all that info, and how reliable is it? I ask this because I wonder how they would have come up with the estimate of 11-15 based on those numbers... (except for my initial hypothesis which is that they know it will be higher, but are low-balling us)

You STILL haven't heard back? I'd say your letter is lost in the mail! My letter made it all the way to England in a week so yours should definitely have been there by now!

lol parts of England are closer to Halifax than some parts of B.C.

However I agree, Anat, it may be worth a call into the office to have the letter resent.

Archived