Premed 101 Forums

2nd yr mcgill undergraduate physiology acceptance

Guest lfc15

Guest lfc15

Hi there,

I am just wondering if anyone knows what kind of grades one has to have to be accepted into 3rd year of undergraduate studies in physiology at mcgill

cheers

Guest mcortex88

im trying to find what I should major in...what was your reason for majoring in physio?

edit: i've heard the cutoff cgpas is around 3.3. someone else confirm this

Guest piratefan

Hi there,

I'm not entirely sure what you're referring to -- is it the physiology honours program, or physiology in general (that requires you to have a 3.3)? I can't confirm if it's true, but the course calendar will definitely state the minimum requirements for staying in the program (likely something along the lines of maintaining a B average, not getting below a B in any phgy course... that is just my guess though, check the calendar to be sure).

As for the pros/cons of doing a physiology major (I'm speaking only about third year phgy, as I haven't done/won't be doing a fourth):

Pros: very medically-oriented, if you're hoping to go to med school, I'm sure it's great prep. Profs & texts tend to be fairly good, for the most part you have one prof/section, therefore each prof is lecturing on his or her area of specialty, which certainly makes for more engaging lectures.

Cons: COMPETITIVE! Almost all of your classmates will also want to go to med school, but you can't all get A's... I found that the third year phgy courses I took were the most competitive, high-stress of my McGill experience. This is also due to the fact that fall of third year involves 311 and 314 -- 311 is a very, very tough class (lot's of math, not well-organized, b**ch of a final). I've heard that the winter semester is much more laid-back (312/313).

Those are just a few of my thoughts on the program. DO NOT go into physiology just because you think it will be a good pre-med program -- you can take almost anything you like and still get into medical school (I transferred out of phgy into arts & sci, liked it more, and still got in). Physiology will likely not be kind to your GPA (esp that third year fall semester), but if you really like the subject, go for it. If you think you like physiology, but don't like competition... there's always anatomy ;)

Good luck choosing,

pf

Guest Spencer

I'm doing the opposite of piratefan...I am transferring out of artsci and into U1 Physio. I heard U1 Physio is a lot of fun and is very interesting...so I'm really looking forward to it next year.

Mcortex: If you are who I think you are (initials MW?) then you are entering into U1 your next year. To the best of my knowledge, the only program that has a posted cutoff for U0 to U1 entry is Micro&Immuno...your must have obtained at least a B+ average for your core science courses. This works out to be a GPA of 3.30.

Admission to the physio (major) program isn't decided on until your U2 year after you've completed all the required U1 courses. There isn't a posted cutoff though!

Anyway, back to studying...my organic chem final is in less than a week...YIKES!

Cheers,

Spencer

Archived