Premed 101 Forums

First Year Housing

At Wayne state, there is a "club" for Canadian students... that may be a starting point (sorry I dont have a contact, but I bet you could find one with a little detective work).

That being said, at Wayne, MOST people (according to the students I met) live in the burbs surrounding Detroit, since living downtown is expensive and ... well... dangerous, in some people's eyes. Also, all lectures are online so many people will not even bother travelling in on a daily basis.

Honestly, I would advise you to live in Windsor (this is only my opinion). It is a 20 minute drive to the university across the border and then you can continue to take advantage of such things as free health care!

I am going to Wayne State also. I know that there is a facebook group for canadians. Not sure of what else.

I am looking at places around detroit that are 20-30 minutes away. I heard of people having problems staying in windsor and commuting over the border, so I decided to get a place in the US.

From the two schools I was at wrighm6:

Kentucky's 1st years live in apts or homes near the campus. From the email I got from them about housing, most rent out bachelors in their first year and may move in with others as time goes on. They don't have a med rez, although they have a grad student rez that allows med students.

For Jefferson, a lot of students live in the dorms across the street from the school, but there are some students who live in the general area near the school too. Downtown Philly is a place where you need to have roommates if you don't want to come out of school more poorer than you need to be.

A lot will depend on the school either having good quality facilities or not, and the willingness of the students to either live near campus or not (price difference may factor in big time). The neighbourhoods, costs and atmosphere of the particular city should dictate the willingness and help you decide how you are going to live.

I am going to Wayne State also. I know that there is a facebook group for canadians. Not sure of what else.

I am looking at places around detroit that are 20-30 minutes away. I heard of people having problems staying in windsor and commuting over the border, so I decided to get a place in the US.

A lot of us live in Royal Oak, so you can look into that area. I personally live in Detroit, and it's not that bad if you want to live close to the school.

Have you signed up for the roommate request list?

Thanks everyone! I'll look into the facebook page and places around Detroit. I was hoping to move in with other Canadians to lower the cost of housing, because we all know how expensive things are in the US.

Flame, can you direct me to this roommate request list? Many thanks!

At Wayne state, there is a "club" for Canadian students... that may be a starting point (sorry I dont have a contact, but I bet you could find one with a little detective work).

That being said, at Wayne, MOST people (according to the students I met) live in the burbs surrounding Detroit, since living downtown is expensive and ... well... dangerous, in some people's eyes. Also, all lectures are online so many people will not even bother travelling in on a daily basis.

Honestly, I would advise you to live in Windsor (this is only my opinion). It is a 20 minute drive to the university across the border and then you can continue to take advantage of such things as free health care!

I go to Wayne State Meds. I actually think that living in Windsor would be a mistake. But it really depends on how connected you want to be the school or your classmates. The people that I do know that live in Windsor hardly ever come to class. Part of the reason is the $9 toll that you have fork over and the wait of crossing over (which can vary). Regardless, you just end up becoming more isolated living in Windsor (that is unless you have friends or relatives already there). Since it's four years of your life - so you might as well try to make the best of it. And eventually everyone moves south of the border as it comes very difficult to do your 3rd year rotations.

Detroit is not that bad - especially if you live in downtown or midtown. If safety is the primary concern for someone, they could easily live in Royal Oak (a very student-friendly area) or even Dearborn.

If we do decide to live in the Royal Oak area (i'm hoping to check it out during Second Day Visit), is it to late to look for housing and roomates there in early-mid June? (waiting to hear back from canadian schools, american waitlists, etc)

Also, what's the approximate drive time from Royal Oak to Wayne, assuming moderate traffic?

it really depends on how connected you want to be the school or your classmates. The people that I do know that live in Windsor hardly ever come to class. Part of the reason is the $9 toll that you have fork over and the wait of crossing over (which can vary). Regardless, you just end up becoming more isolated living in Windsor (that is unless you have friends or relatives already there). Since it's four years of your life - so you might as well try to make the best of it. And eventually everyone moves south of the border as it comes very difficult to do your 3rd year rotations.

Detroit is not that bad - especially if you live in downtown or midtown. If safety is the primary concern for someone, they could easily live in Royal Oak (a very student-friendly area) or even Dearborn.

+1. I miss the late night strolls though. For those of you who are thinking about living in Detroit, maybe you can look into the student housing available at Wayne. A lot of med students and residents live in University Towers, which is closer to the med school and hospitals. Some live in the Deroy apartments, but they're closer to the main campus and further away.

Edit: @trickybox, it's approx. 20min from Royal Oak to Wayne. It's not too late to find for roommates in early-June. I started around that time and a lot of us start finding roommates and places around that time too.

OK, I'll put my name on the roommate list. I'm hoping we can start a Canadian roommate search thread for specific schools in late Spring, early Summer. I think many students are still waiting to hear back from Canadian and other US schools before they start looking for housing. I'm still waiting on 2.

Trickybox, didn't you get into another US school that would probably be more preferable to Wayne State? But if you or anyone else on the forum is interested in Detroit roommates, send me a PM so we can keep in touch and won't have to scramble later :P

OK, I'll put my name on the roommate list. I'm hoping we can start a Canadian roommate search thread for specific schools in late Spring, early Summer. I think many students are still waiting to hear back from Canadian and other US schools before they start looking for housing. I'm still waiting on 2.

Trickybox, didn't you get into another US school that would probably be more preferable to Wayne State? But if you or anyone else on the forum is interested in Detroit roommates, send me a PM so we can keep in touch and won't have to scramble later :P

Thanks for that Flame219. It's good to know I won't be scrambling looking for places to live in June.

And wrighm6, I'm leaning towards Wayne right now (except for Canadian schools and the waitlist for Georgetown***). Most of the Canadian Wayen graduates I spoke with matched into pretty impressive places (their top 3 choices in pretty competitive residencies) and they definitely enjoyed their 4 years there, and with its proximity to Toronto, I think I'd adjust to Wayne a lot faster.

trickybox you should probably absolutely make sure that SLU is not the right for you before making your decision this early. For one thing, SLU would be much cheaper than Wayne State. And from what I hear, the students that go there are very happy (i.e. social camaraderie is great because it's not really a commuter school). I go to Wayne State and I am actually happy with my decision to attend it over EVMS. But if I had the choice, I am not so sure that I would choose it over SLU.The class size here is just so huge and it's a commuter school - which are two things that quite a few OOS and Canadians dislike about the school.

And one thing that someone forgets to mention is that last year only 87% of the Wayne State class matched. This year the rate was back to normal (93%), but my point is that going to Wayne State does not mean you will have a better chance at matching over SLU. They are both probably equal in that regard. And I am assuming both of their curriculums are probably very similar as well.

And unless you have certain familial obligations or a significant other in Toronto, I wouldn't really let that be a deciding point. By your second year, you probably won't be going back to Toronto too often because of the hectic workload (i.e. exam every two weeks) anyway.

Just trying to give you my honest opinion....

Thanks for that Dayne! I'm actually still deciding between the two right now. The problem is, I know more Canadians at Wayne that can give me their opinions, while I've been having trouble finding Canadians at SLU to talk to. I'm planning on calling SLU next week to see if they have any Canadians attending that can give me their opinions. I'll probably make my final decision first week of May.

Also, check your pm please :)

Archived