Premed 101 Forums

Avergage GPA accepted

rani_wish

Hi everyone,

I know that this might be repetitive with someone but i couldnt find a post in this forums where is tells what was the average gpa ppl were accepted in mcgill last year . Since 3.5 is a min what are my chance with a 3.6 gpa. Should I apply.:confused:

I know Mcat is taken off just confirming for quebec residents it is rite.

thankx.

Since 3.5 is a min what are my chance with a 3.6 gpa. Should I apply.:confused:

I know Mcat is taken off just confirming for quebec residents it is rite.

thankx.

MCAT is off the table next cycle for IPs who graduate from Quebec universities. Logically, this will likely increase the size of the pool, especially increasing the size of French speaking applicants from amongst those who have not been comfortable writing the MCAT.

So, competition is likely to increase. However, nothing ventured, nothing gained. I would encourage you to apply and hopefully, you will be able to demonstrate excellent non-academic attributes, confirmed by verifiers and referees.

French school have high cut-off, they calculate a cote R depending on many factors like the difficulty of the program, standard deviation, average ...

And they have a french test to pass so better to start pratice french right now before considering seriously this opportunity if you're not fluent

So it's worth a shot but you cant have any idea of your chance since even the formula for the cote R change for each french university!

Good luck,

Hope it helps,

3.6 is a very respectable gpa, you should defenetly apply.

You should also consider the french schools.

I wouldn't know about that...I'd say you'd be in the very bottom tier of students being accepted if you have a 3.6. All the people I know who got interviews this round had 3.7+ GPAs. And of this bunch of people, the majority are 3.9+ actually.

What is the average GPA of admitted students?

Generally speaking, the average GPA of admitted students is around 3.83 (on 4.0), with roughly two-thirds of admitted students having their GPA in the range of 3.67 to 3.98. The GPA of the basic science courses tends to be very similar.

What is the average MCAT score for successful applicants?

Generally speaking, the average overall MCAT score of admitted students is 33Q, with roughly two-thirds of the scores between 30 and 36. When the sub-components are reviewed individually, the average Biological Sciences score tends to be 12, 11 for the Physical Sciences, and 10 for the Verbal Reasoning section.

;)

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
What if I'm an OOP student? Around what avg do I need to be competitive?

OOP is a different ball game. Usually to be competitive it is around a 3.9 that is necessary and equally stunning MCATs. We have so few OOP spots, it makes the selection kind of ridiculous.

I'd like to know this too. I heard of people getting rejected with near 4.0 GPA and 40+ MCAT..

An OOP basically needs near perfect stats and a kick ass CV to even have a chance to interview at McGill. And getting accepted from that kick ass pool of interview applicants is another story. :P

If you have around 3.9+ GPA and a 35+ MCAT, I think you are in the running for an interview but you really need a great CV to balance it out. McGill puts alot of emphasis on the CV.

• 3 weeks later...
OOP is a different ball game. Usually to be competitive it is around a 3.9 that is necessary and equally stunning MCATs. We have so few OOP spots, it makes the selection kind of ridiculous.

I'm an OOP

cGPA 3.90 after completing fourth year but when I applied 3.86 (after third year)

MCAT 33Q

An OOP basically needs near perfect stats and a kick ass CV to even have a chance to interview at McGill. And getting accepted from that kick ass pool of interview applicants is another story. :P

If you have around 3.9+ GPA and a 35+ MCAT, I think you are in the running for an interview but you really need a great CV to balance it out. McGill puts alot of emphasis on the CV.

very true, you need a strong CV but there is hope is MCAT is not 35+ type of stellar, I had 33.

this yr's (for class of 2014) stats: 5% of OOP applicants got interview call; after an interview 1/3 chance of being accepted. Total spots = 9.

How do people think that removing the MCAT for in province students who attended university in Quebec will affect those of us who are in province but chose to attend schools outside of Quebec?

And does anyone have know the logic as to why they still require the MCAT for Quebec students who went to school in other provinces?

I doubt that the removal of MCAT for IP will affect the OOP pool. I do not see how the two intersect. This should only affect IP candidates. My assumptions are that more french educated IP will apply, making getting an interview as an IP more competitive, but most will prefer to attend a french med school.

________

HONDA CIVIC (FIRST GENERATION)

I doubt that the removal of MCAT for IP will affect the OOP pool. I do not see how the two intersect. This should only affect IP candidates. My assumptions are that more french educated IP will apply, making getting an interview as an IP more competitive, but most will prefer to attend a french med school.

I think what PipeDream means is that there will be two groups of IP: one that is not required to do the MCAT, and another group that has to do it because they went to university outside Quebec (even though they are IP).

I find that strange too... Isn't it complicating an already mysterious process? Maybe they'll split IP into 2 separate groups, each with a certain number of spots based on the number of applicants in each group? I don't see how else they would manage it... So it will all depend on how many spot there is for each group. If they split them in half, your odds might get much better!

Archived