Premed 101 Forums

Grades asap

Guest mcgill premed

Guest mcgill premed

hi

i just wanted to ask .i have a gpa of 3.7 /4.0 scale but i had a F in one of my first year courses and i had to make a supplementary exam for it.they told me that i am not eligible to apply because mcgill doesnt accept students who have an f in their transcript .is that right i hop[e that you can answer me asap please.

thnx

Guest medicator007

Two points here:

1) Who is THEY? If THEY is the admissions office then odds are its true. They have no reason to give you false information... they are the OFFICIAL source for all application information.

2) What's the worst that can happen if you do apply? They may just reject you. Recall that many people who apply will not get in but 100% of people who don't apply don't get in.

Medicator

Guest MD2010

Somehow I don't think this information was coming from McGill admissions directly...I have a feeling if you spoke to them directly, for example made an appointment with an admissions officer for a consultation, they would tell you that if everything else in your applications is in line, then you should apply, especially because you have nothing to lose. You can also submit a separate document with your application to the admissions committee explaining the situation surrounding the F (I suppose it would look better if you did better on the supplementary exam).

Good luck.

Guest mcgill premed

yeah

i got an A in the supplemental exam but because i was realy stressed and it was my first year among other factors i screwed my exam.

that why i graduated with a 3.7 /4.0 in mcgill which wasnt easy to make up for.the one who told me was a medical student at mcgill.and he told me that if you have a c - grade or below in one course you wont be accepted and thats not explicitly said in their website like their focus on organic chemistry grade in premed.

Guest MD2010

Hey again,

I was on an exchange abroad and was in an advanced track program in math, and I failed 3 out of the 4 courses. I shouldn't have been in this program to begin with, and I explained that with my application, and I was offered an interview. I don't think you have anything to worry about, as long as you have a reasonable explanation, and the fact that you got an A in the supplemental should help. Again, you have nothing to lose by applying.

Guest medicator007

No disrepect to my fellow McGill med students, but many people harbour misguided notions of what is and isnt true with regards to admissions. The ONLY official answer is from the admissions office, that being said... I say apply.

Medicator

Guest AltGab

I'm sure that you can find a lot of info on the FAQ of the mcgill admission office (medical faculty). They seem to be OK for MCAT or GPA under standard requirement, I don't think that you should stop applying because of an F :) .

Hope you good luck,

Gab

Guest zizou

the med student you talked to is talking BS. I got two F, the advisor said as long as I get a good cgpa by the time I apply, and as long as I explain it, I would still have a chance. So apply, I bet you'll get accepted, and when u become a mcgill med graduate, thank this forum, and yell at the med school student who gave u bad info.

Guest hoomsy

exactly!...

i was told i would never get in with my verbal score so low....

meh now im starting august at mcgill....

just apply...never think u don't qualify...u never know who looks at ur app and what they're looking for..

hoomsy

Archived