Premed 101 Forums

Quebec resident status

Guest KJ

Hi,

I have a question about the criteria needed to be considered a Quebec resident. I can't seem to get any answers via email from the registrar..they keep referring me to the website which is confusing!

If someone was born in Quebec and lived there for 13 years, then moved OOP to do highschool and university, would they still be considered a Quebec resident when applying to McGill?

Also, does anyone know what is a Permanent Code Data?

Thanks

Guest mstr splinter

If you were born in Quebec, you're considered in-province. There's a list of things you can submit to prove your status; the simplest one is your birth certificate.

Permanent code is a number issued by the goverment related to being in school. I don't know the level that gets assigned to you. If you don't have one, and you end up at McGill, they'll give you one. You don't have to do anything to get it.

Thanks for your reply.

Does anyone know how Quebec residents who aren't currently living in Quebec are considered? I would assume they would give preference to Quebec residents who are currently living in Quebec at the time of application...?

Hi KJ,

All quebec residents are considered equal with respect to residency status--all you need is to qualify (birth in Quebec being one of them)...

Hope this helps...

-garp

Guest MD2010

In case you haven't seen this already, take a look at this site: www.mcgill.ca/student-rec...ments/por/ and specifically look at the pdf on this page. It says that if you have a Quebec birth certificate meeting MELS standards you are considered a Quebec resident. From what I understand, the distinctions in terms of pools of applicants are based on Quebec residency, out of province Canadians, and internationals and they don't make further distinctions within these categories. So for example, as long as you meet the requirements set out on this form of attestation of Quebec residency (one of those possibilities being having a Quebec birth certificate) then whether or not you are currently living in Quebec has no bearing on your application.

Archived