Premed 101 Forums

woooooooow

We should abandon the gpa system and use averages. Whats wrong with using averages?

The grade point average system has advantages overly simply using percentage averages.

The most obvious advantage is that a grade point average is a better measure of consistency in grades and indicates competency in a variety of courses (i.e. reveals more academically well rounded students).

There are different ways that can lead to the same percentage average, whereas the grade point average is less ambiguous.

For example, Student A earns a 90% average in five courses by scoring 100% in four courses and a 50% in one course. Student B earns a 90% average in five courses by scoring 90% in all five courses. This example, although extreme, illustrates the more useful measure of the GPA as opposed to a simple percentage average. Although both students have 90% semester averages, Student A has an OMSAS GPA=3.34 while Student B has an OMSAS GPA=4.00 (using the University of Toronto conversion).

Therefore, the GPA is a very telling and useful criterion for medical school admissions and the reason it is used in schools across North America, including the OMSAS.

I suppose I'm lucky, the few times I've needed a bump, I've had a reasonable prof do it for me. One time I calculated my grade and it ended at like a 83.7. Rounded automatically to 84, and then all marks 1% away were automatically bumped.

That was a good day.

What? I missed a+ in orgo by 0.05% at u of t and the prof told me there was nothing he could do

Yeah, I was shocked.

A worse day (at UofT) was when the class got a 4 percent reduction ON OUR FINAL GRADES in a full year course.

92->88 :(

Though, that's nowhere near as bad as a 80->76 that some people got...

Ah, McKay, most anti-social professor I've ever met in my life.

I missed three A-'s by less than 1 percent and an A by less than 0.5. That's like one question on the final. I wanna die. Anyone else been in this boat? feels like ****, doesn't it?

And what's even worse is that none of the profs would care to bump it. Ya I have been in the same boat. However are you talking about this throughout your university career or just 1 term? If 1 term then you are very unlucky. Sorry bro.

I suppose I'm lucky, the few times I've needed a bump, I've had a reasonable prof do it for me. One time I calculated my grade and it ended at like a 83.7. Rounded automatically to 84, and then all marks 1% away were automatically bumped.

That was a good day.

Holy! That's free lunch right there!!

I was once at 89.4% and prof wouldnt even bump it up. Then I found stuff on the final (full written marked by TA's) and argued then she said she will think about it. Then never replied back to me again and no replies from emails.

ps: she was a substitute so there was no way to find her anymore it was such a bizzare case.

Last term I took 5-0.5 credit courses, and 4-0.25 credit courses. I ended up with a 78 in a 0.5 credit course, a 79 in a 0.5 credit course, a 79 in a 0.25 credit course, and a 78 in a 0.25 credit course. Two of the marks I was fine with, but I went to appeal two others. Neither were changed. Maybe I didn't complain enough, but man I hate the jump from a 80 to a 79 so much! I made a couple of errors on my final that is that critical difference between a 3.7 and a 3.3. I hate the GPA conversion!!!

I was off 0.5% from an A- and there was a very weird question which could seriously be reconsidered but my prof didnt change it so stuck with the B+ ... i feel ya

edit: i also got lectured because she said there are people who would want that mark (yes, a lecture.)

The grade point average system has advantages overly simply using percentage averages.

The most obvious advantage is that a grade point average is a better measure of consistency in grades and indicates competency in a variety of courses (i.e. reveals more academically well rounded students).

There are different ways that can lead to the same percentage average, whereas the grade point average is less ambiguous.

For example, Student A earns a 90% average in five courses by scoring 100% in four courses and a 50% in one course. Student B earns a 90% average in five courses by scoring 90% in all five courses. This example, although extreme, illustrates the more useful measure of the GPA as opposed to a simple percentage average. Although both students have 90% semester averages, Student A has an OMSAS GPA=3.34 while Student B has an OMSAS GPA=4.00 (using the University of Toronto conversion).

Therefore, the GPA is a very telling and useful criterion for medical school admissions and the reason it is used in schools across North America, including the OMSAS.

While I agree with you on the point of GPA being a better indicator of consistency, one could argue that using average does measure consistency as well. It takes many impressive grades (therefore you need to be consistently above average) to raise a poor mark. Using your example, a student needed 4 100% to mask a 50% mark which is incredible. Using the current GPA system, one poor mark could seriously hinder one chances. At least if we used averages, a student could show that they are academically capable by consistently obtaining good grades.

The best way to go about this, or atleast what ive done a couple of times. If you suspect that your mark will fall in a range that you dont want it to, go talk to your TA or prof BEFORE they mark your assignment/test or watever. So when the time comes that they are marking you, they will remember that you were the keener that came to them all worried about your grades. And they might just give you a higher mark (subjective marking ofcourse). Complaining after you've recieved a grade usually doesnt work since dozens of people complain at that time.

While I agree with you on the point of GPA being a better indicator of consistency, one could argue that using average does measure consistency as well. It takes many impressive grades (therefore you need to be consistently above average) to raise a poor mark. Using your example, a student needed 4 100% to mask a 50% mark which is incredible. Using the current GPA system, one poor mark could seriously hinder one chances. At least if we used averages, a student could show that they are academically capable by consistently obtaining good grades.

As much as I hate GPA myself, I have to disagree with your arguement. Average doesn't measure the consistency as well as GPA. Nemesis already said it pretty well. Your arguement states that the student is outstanding in 4 of his 5 courses, but he is not consistant with all 5 marks (hence the 50%). You can say that he is consistantly good for part of his studies, but overall, he is not consistant.

[/b]

As much as I hate GPA myself, I have to disagree with your arguement. Average doesn't measure the consistency as well as GPA. Nemesis already said it pretty well. Your arguement states that the student is outstanding in 4 of his 5 courses, but he is not consistant with all 5 marks (hence the 50%). You can say that he is consistantly good for part of his studies, but overall, he is not consistant.

Alright fine, I will accept Nemesis and your idea that GPA is a better indcator of consistency. However, the problem with GPA is that 1% can have a significant difference in your grades (e.g. OP with his/her 79s). Do you guys believe that 1%, often the difference between 1 or 2 questions, should have such a big impact on you grades? Is the person who gets 80 really that much smarter than a person who gets 79? Getting one terrible mark can completely throw your gpa way off and many applicants cant excel at EVERY subject. We mess up sometimes because we dont enjoy the course or just suck at it. I think its unfair to students who work hard but their GPA doesnt reflect that. It would also avoid this rounding up business and reward those who did well but was unable to obtain the next gpa jump (e.g. 81-84 and 86-89).

Archived