Premed 101 Forums

French proficiency and McGill residency spots

Guest Kirsteen

Guest Kirsteen

Hi there,

Although my French is decent, with lack of continual use, it's now rusty. How might French rustyness, or for those who have little knowledge of the language, affect those who might be keen on a residency spot at McGill? Has anyone heard anything at all? I hadn't thought of this until I'd mentioned to a few of my classmates that McGill was on my list of target residency programs. I then started fielding some questions on French proficiency which worried me a little. Hence, this post.

Cheers,

Kirsteen

Guest medicator007

Kirsteen,

It is made out to be much more of an issue by MANY people out of the province than it actually is. To back this up, a McGill PD of a surgical subspecialty said at a recent interview "that lack of french proficiency is not an issue and should not be a reason to not come here"

Another point to consider is that McGill has more that its fair share of residents here from the middle east and im sure they speak FAR less french than you.

So there u have it!

Medicator

Guest Kirsteen

Ta. :)

(I look forward to using my French again and giving it more muscle, but I'd hoped that it would be an impediment during the CaRMS process.)

Cheers,

Kirsteen

Archived