Premed 101 Forums

New Montreal hospital

Guest Kirsteen

Guest Kirsteen

Hi there,

Do any of you guys know when the new, billion-dollar medical complex is going to be opening in Montreal? ...and the name of it?

Cheers,

Kirsteen

Guest Gavanshir

Perhaps I'm not one to to answer but I'll share what I know anyway.

It was originally planned to open in 2006 but I believe it got pushed back to 2008, although I think it will be pushed back later than that. It will unite the five MUHC hospitals onto two seperate campuses named The Mountain and The Glen.

Guest medicator007

Hi Kirsteen,

The Planned McGill Superhospital has been in the workings now for quite some time and has changed plans and intentions many times over. Of note, they U de Montreal also has a planned Superhospital in the works. As Gavanshir mentioned it was supposed to be opened this year, in fact I remember distinctly being told when I was interviewing for medical school that I would be the first generation of residents to work there. If anything I may be the first generation of attendings... but thats a different story.

The plan as it stands NOW, is as follows: A NEW expensive hospital will be built at the Glen Yards Site. The Royal Victoria, Montreal Chest Hospital, Montreal Children's Hospital will ALL close and relocate their services to this site. The Montreal General will remain open at its current site & from what I hear most recently so will the Montreal Neurological Hospital/Institute. All these facilities are collectively known as the McGill University Health Center and will thus have the MUHC-Glen Campus and the MUHC-Mountain Campus or something like that.

The french system is doing something similar, and thus this leads to a new process called "complimentarity". This is a word you can use to instill fear in your surgical attendings if they are pimping you too hard on rounds. In a bid to ensure that the two academic centers don't duplicate the most specialized and complicated aspects of medical care the government has unilaterally decided to strip McGill of the presitigious things like complicated heart surgery and transplantation and send it over to the French side. Ok, perhaps that is a BIT reductionistic, but its largely true and there is certainly a culturally based medical war about to explode here in the near future. Couple complimentaity with the PREMs and the lowest paid residents in the country and why isn't everyone banging down the door to come practice medicine here?

Hope that helps...

Cheers,

Medicator

Guest Gavanshir

This is off topic but medicator007, do you mind elaborating a bit regarding resident salaries? I wasn't aware that Quebec had the lowest in Canada. Is there a page with statistics? Thanks.

Guest Kirsteen

Hey again Medicator,

Thanks for all the information. Regarding the new site, is the building built? In what part of the city is it located? If so, what's taking so long re: amalgamating the services, aside from the politics?

Lastly, PREMs? What are those?

Cheers,

Kirsteen

Guest medicator007

My Pleasure,

1) No, the building is not built as of yet. It is planned on the former Glen Rail Yards, which is part of the problem. Before it can be built an extensive decontamination program had to be completed, that is still underway as I understand and as you can imagine the decontamination standards for a hospital are quite a bit higher for a hospital than for other facilities. It is being built in the Notre Dame de Grace area, quite close to the Decarie Expressway.

2) What's taking so long, apart from politics? In Quebec... APART from Politics... ur kidding me right? Well there was the decontamination, there was the over budget moments, redesign the plan, the mulroney led commision to study both proposals, and then my all time favorite..... the MUHC one is ready to go, but we can't start building the English one, because the French side isn't ready to start. Yes i SWEAR i'm serious, this place is like kindergarden sometimes.

3) PREMs.... stand for something in french that i can't recall nor be bothered to look up. Could be Plan Regionales des Effectifs Medicaux or something. Basically a government mandated program restricting billing numbers in a given region based on THEIR calculation of how many doctors in a given specialty each region needs. Translation: You will train here for 2-5 years (or more) then fight tooth and nail to get a job in montreal and only be able to get a number in some outlying region. YES this plan was implemented and then repealed in other provinces, but we don't learn here. The ONLY winner with the PREMs is Ottawa, where all the McGill trained doctors seem to be going now.

That's all my ranting for now, thankfully Montreal is a kick ass city and now that we have Bob Gainey behind the bench I can at least hope to see the Canadiens doing something this season.

Cheers,

Medicator

Guest ilitvino

I am reading this... and I must say that, I simply cannot believe that this is true (especially coming to Quebec from the United States)!!! 8o Why would Quebec shoot itself in a foot this way in preventing the development of the new McGill hospital. This makes no sence whatsoever >: -- McGill serves both the french and the english population of Quebec -- everyone will benefit from this development. Right? The government is greatly restricting the growth potential of McGill's Medicine (and thereby of the whole medical industry in Quebec) by delaing the breaking of the ground for the new "superhospital". I have visited Royal Victoria hospital a number of times and cannot express how saddened I was to see that all the facilities were/are there in a such a terrible shape. It seems that if we keep living this way Ontario and surrounding US states will outcompete Quebec by several folds (at least in medicine)! To all quebeqois -- am I crazy or should we try to further medicine in the province of quebec irrespectfull whether it is done by the english speaking-McGill or french-speaking U de M??? :\

Guest medicator007

Sorry to say, but this is true... the superhospital has been delayed, replanned, retooled more times than I care to count and from what I keep on hearing and reading the complimentarity process WILL happen in one form or another, though the actual final version is up for discussion/debate (and I assure you this will be quite vigorous).

I'd love to say otherwise, but the reality of Quebec (a province that I love dearly) is that decisions are often made keeping in mind the neverending linguistic battle. As a lifelong montrealer, i adore the bicultural nature of my city. I am full billingual and in the course of my clinical duties as a student here always render care in both English and French over the course of the day.

I sadly have nothing else to add to this.

Medicator

Guest Gavanshir

There are infact many proposed cons to the new superhospital. The main ones being that it is needlessly expensive and extravegant while smaller investments could be used to make major improvements to the already operating hospitals. I found this webpage by Dr. James Farquhar which seems to have been made in 2001 with some arguments regarding the new superhospital, he does briefly argue that there is no language issue in its politics.

www3.sympatico.ca/actquebec/rethink.htm

Guest medicator007

There are certainly several cons to the program and I have absolutely no doubt about that, nor do I really have any firmly posited opinion on either side of the debate... I'm just as happy if they renovate all of our existing hospitals as i'd be if they build this new one.

But as to the abscence of a language bias and issue in the politics, give me a break. There is NO aspect of our politics that does not in SOME way touch on language. Besides this 2001 comment has missed most of the recent sniping on this issue which is firmly entrenched in a french-english power struggle. (ie complimentarity) Just read that McGill has sent the Dean of Medicine a Senior McGill Senator to try some mediation on this... not language oriented, riiiiight!

Medicator

Archived