Premed 101 Forums

Hotels near Mcgill

Guest Togo

Hi,

I was wondering which are some close hotels near Mcgill.

Also how far is the airport from the campus? Is there public transit from the airport or must I take a taxi?

Thanks

Guest Kirsteen

Hi there,

Since no-one has responded to you yet, I can try to help out with a bit of my Montreal knowledge. What sort of hotels are you looking for, for how long are you aiming to stay, and at what time of year? If it's during the summer then you can book some low-budget accommodation in one of the McGill residences, e.g., up on the hill at the top of the campus, or down at its foot on rue Sherbrooke. (I did that a couple of summers ago while taking some courses there.) There are also plenty of higher end hotels scattered throughout the city some of which are not too far from McGill.

As for the airport, most cities have some sort of public transit route to the airport, e.g., a bus, although I've never used this option in Montreal. By cab, I remember the journey taking about 30 minutes in average traffic.

Cheers,

Kirsteen

Guest medicator007

Sorry it took me a bit longer to get to this one, been busy.

McGill is smack in the middle of downtown and MOST of the hotels in the area tend to cater to the higher-end clientele, mostly businessmen and tourists. There may be somethng more budget oriented in the hotel spectrum, but I don't know about it. As Kirsteen mentioned, staying in res is an option but only outside of term.

There is also a Youth Hostel in Montreal somwhere, i think off of Rene Levesque Blvd, but im not 100% sure.

Other options include looking into biletting at the medical school admissions office, they also likely have a list of hotels that are mcgill affiliated and MAY have discounts at.

As for the airport, I have never taken the public transit, you may want to try checking their website for the full details. I know there is a public train station there and most likely a bus but I don't know much more than that.

Sorry I can't be of more help but I have never stayed in a hotel here and don't have much involvement with our airport either.

Cheers,

Medicator

Thanks for all the responses.

I found a pretty good deal at the Travelodge on Rene Levesque. I know it is not the best hotel, but its within my budget. Is it near any malls/subway stations/attractions etc.? Any information would be helpful.

Guest McGillMed2010

Hey,

where on rene levesque is it? rene levesque is pretty central and not too far from the main part of downtown and all the malls and shopping stores. there are some metros near there as well but if you told me the cross street, i could help you out more. are you coming for an early decision interview? are you an in province student? thanks

Guest McGillMed2010

hey togo,

did you have an interview today? I was in the medicine office and saw someone come for their interview. if it was, how did it go?

Guest ilitvino

Togo, you will have lot's of things to do. All the action in Montreal is downtown (especially on St. Catherine street). There are lot's of malls, stores, restaurants etc. If you want to go clubbing -- St. Laurent street should be lots of fun. I also very much enjoy the Latin Quarter in Montreal (on St. Laurent, just south of Sherbrooke). If you go south from your hotel you will hit the old city -- Old Port -- beautiful area stuffed with lots of great restaurants. For ideas pick up a free copy of a tourisme guide to Montreal (should be available at the airport or at the visitor's stand at the Palais des Congress de Montreal (i.e. local convention center)). Good Luck! Let me know how it goes.

Archived