Premed 101 Forums

For those applying now

Guest sans005

Guest sans005

Hi, Is anyone else applying to Mcgill right now? I looked at the application and filled bits of it. Are there 2 applications, 1 general and 1 for medicine specifically? There is not enough space to fill in the prerequisite course information, especially the course numbers. Anyone having any problems or concerns?

Guest ilitvino

Yes, I agree with you... there is not enough space at all. I am planning to give them a call tomorrow to see what should I do. Also, there is no place to enter extracurricular experiences, awards, publications, etc... (although, I guess that the latter part is taken care of by the personal essay). I you applying early decision?

Ivan

Guest ilitvino

I did call the admissions office a couple of days ago. Basically, some of the extracurricular activities can be listed in the Autobiographical essay. Also, you can submit to the office your CV and your published work (research papers).

• 1 month later...
Guest McGillMedWannabe

I'm having such a hard time filling in all the activites in the essay, but I guess the less important activities can go into the CV.

About reference letters, I know it says that we should have two from profs but how about the other one? SHould it come from someone who we volunteered with, a doctor that we know, etc.. The ontario application specified that the 3rd lette should be a character reference but for McGill, would it be better to ask a 3rd prof to write it? How about family friends? A good friend of the family is one of the heads of the ER at the Montreal General, although they know me quite well, they've never really supervised me in schoolwork or volunteer work, so would it be frowned upon to ask them to write me a letter? For ontario applications, I asked the priest at my church (where i regularly volunteer) to write a letter since he has known me for over 15 years, but would this be not so good for McGill (since they seem to prefer academic references).

thanks!

Guest medicator007

I wouldnt lose too much sleep over the letters of reference for McGill, nor for any other school for that matter. McGill states they like to see two "professors".... however when I applied and got in.. i sent them references from: 1) One professor of mine in undegrad 2) My volunteer supervisor 3) A close family friend who has known me forever and happens to be chief of surgery at a large McGill Hospital.

Suffice it to say.. send at least ONE academic reference to make them happy... TWO if you want to be a stickler and make sure the third know you well, can write good things and will give you a positive letter.

That is all..... relax.

Medicator

Archived