Premed 101 Forums

How do you deal with cramps?

humanity is our evolution. They are one in the same. What you are considering 'humanity' is the social norms we have construed in the 21st century.

Pretty sure what you consider the social norm of "humanity" existed BEFORE the year 2000.

Just sayin'.

Pretty sure what you consider the social norm of "humanity" existed BEFORE the year 2000.

Just sayin'.

we, the white man, kept other humans as slaves to do our bidding only a short time ago. Equality among humans, peace towards all is pretty new in the Western world. And of course, it is no where near ideal, with hatred/killing of other people just because they are different. We pretend to be "humane", but we have a long way to go.

I was going to post my own riposte to Dumbledore's initial post but Mike perfectly summed up my feelings. The greatest thing my parents gave me was the ability to think for myself, even if they might not know it.

I would not compromise my own beliefs and morals for them. I would not suddenly believe in God(s) if they asked me to. I would not break up with a girlfriend that they didn't like. I would not change majors if they asked me to. I would not abstain from sex if they were strict fundamentalists. My point is, there are a lot of things I would not do for them and I expect you, as everbody else, is the same at heart Dumbledore. Everyone, all these supposed "decent" family folk, will break if you push them far enough.

If you truly believe yourself to be some incorruptible agent of your parents' will, then what more are you than an inherited set of likely broken idealogies? This is a major problem in small-town America. People have this insane notion that everything their parents believe is correct and unquestionable; this is why there are still so many people waving the Confederate flag around as if it were something to be proud of. Additionally, this belief transfers over to their parents' idols. If people really thought for themselves, would anyone in their right minds take the twisted non-logic Ann Coulter and Glenn Beck seriously?

Oh, one more. What if your parents gave you conlficting advice, as so often really happens? Would this happen?

Exploding-head.gif

we, the white man, kept other humans as slaves to do our bidding only a short time ago. Equality among humans, peace towards all is pretty new in the Western world. And of course, it is no where near ideal, with hatred/killing of other people just because they are different. We pretend to be "humane", but we have a long way to go.

While I agree that we do not even remotely live in a perfect world, I fail to see how evolution (as opposed to the changing of ideals/opinions) is responsible for this. According to you, there is something in our genes that has changed in the last... let's just say 60 years (for argument's sake) that has "allowed" us to end segregation. The problem with your theory is that that would mean that that "mutation" would have had to occur in the majority of people almost simultaneously. Part of the theory of evolution is a slow change across many generations. You can't tell me that a mutation occured in hundreds of thousands (or millions) of people simulataneously in one generation that could have accounted for the changing opinions. That is part of learning and changing as a whole. As a community. As a culture. It's part of humanity. It's not something that can be directly attributed to our genes and their evolution over a short period of time.

But I'm not going to argue with you about this anymore here. This thread was started by someone genuinly looking for an alternative (for whatever reason), and it's not fair to her for it to be derailed like this. It's also not fair to her for you to judge her and belittle her based on her own beliefs and values just because you do not believe in them yourself.

While I agree that we do not even remotely live in a perfect world, I fail to see how evolution (as opposed to the changing of ideals/opinions) is responsible for this. According to you, there is something in our genes that has changed in the last... let's just say 60 years (for argument's sake) that has "allowed" us to end segregation. The problem with your theory is that that would mean that that "mutation" would have had to occur in the majority of people almost simultaneously. Part of the theory of evolution is a slow change across many generations. You can't tell me that a mutation occured in hundreds of thousands (or millions) of people simulataneously in one generation that could have accounted for the changing opinions. That is part of learning and changing as a whole. As a community. As a culture. It's part of humanity. It's not something that can be directly attributed to our genes and their evolution over a short period of time.

But I'm not going to argue with you about this anymore here. This thread was started by someone genuinly looking for an alternative (for whatever reason), and it's not fair to her for it to be derailed like this. It's also not fair to her for you to judge her and belittle her based on her own beliefs and values just because you do not believe in them yourself.

I read your post 2-3 times, and I can confidently say that I have so sweet clue what you are babbling about. So, I'm just going to end it with two previous posts that I thought ended the discussion quite nicely between myself and the OP.

cool, just interested in hearing your response. I'll leave it at that. I try my best not to **** with culture. For some people, family > individual. I'll never understand it, but I respect it.

haha thanks, I do appreciate that! :)

The only reason I pursued it further was because I was given the opinion that it would be arrogant to have a different view other than 100% supporting the wishes of my parents.

I just wrote and subsequently erased a way to end this post like 6 times but none of them were nice, so this is the best I have.

I read your post 2-3 times, and I can confidently say that I have so sweet clue what you are babbling about. So, I'm just going to end it with two previous posts that I thought ended the discussion quite nicely between myself and the OP.

The only reason I pursued it further was because I was given the opinion that it would be arrogant to have a different view other than 100% supporting the wishes of my parents.

I just wrote and subsequently erased a way to end this post like 6 times but none of them were nice, so this is the best I have.

Fair enough. Maybe I misunderstood one of your previous posts (which would make mine not make any sense either then).

I see, I misunderstood your continuation of the discussion then. (If I had the same view as my parents 100% of the time, I would be worried.... that's part of what makes me different from them)

Well... it seems like a nice way to end it anyways. Sorry for misunderstanding :). Truce?

Fair enough. Maybe I misunderstood one of your previous posts (which would make mine not make any sense either then).

I see, I misunderstood your continuation of the discussion then. (If I had the same view as my parents 100% of the time, I would be worried.... that's part of what makes me different from them)

Well... it seems like a nice way to end it anyways. Sorry for misunderstanding :). Truce?

I never had an argument with you in the first place. So, sure.

wow, it's amazing how the most simplest of threads can end up to be such a heated discussion about mankind.....wicked.

As for cramps, try starting the NSAID 48 hours before your scheduled period. That way it has attained steady state in the blood stream and has already started to decrease the inflammation associated with the cramping. A lot of the docs out this way tend to use naproxen but I still kinda like mefanamic acid.

Drink lots of fluids and engage in some physical activity (sex if you wish and yeah, it does work). Try some of those heat wraps too. I think Playtex puts one out that you can apply directly to the abdominal area and it lasts for about 6-8 hours.

And as for birth control, it does make a different but it's YOUR choice. I have lots of girls who are on birth control specifically for menstrual cramping and irregularities.

wow, it's amazing how the most simplest of threads can end up to be such a heated discussion about mankind.....wicked.

As for cramps, try starting the NSAID 48 hours before your scheduled period. That way it has attained steady state in the blood stream and has already started to decrease the inflammation associated with the cramping. A lot of the docs out this way tend to use naproxen but I still kinda like mefanamic acid.

Drink lots of fluids and engage in some physical activity (sex if you wish and yeah, it does work). Try some of those heat wraps too. I think Playtex puts one out that you can apply directly to the abdominal area and it lasts for about 6-8 hours.

And as for birth control, it does make a different but it's YOUR choice. I have lots of girls who are on birth control specifically for menstrual cramping and irregularities.

Have a few babies ;) I've rarely had any cramps since I gave birth...guess my labour was long enough?

for those who said exercise helps cramps... when you get cramps isnt it painful that it hurts to move or walk (well it is for me) how do you exercise? wouldnt that cause you more pain? lol i just feel like not moving

Treadmill--the pain subsides after a couple of minutes.

for those who said exercise helps cramps... when you get cramps isnt it painful that it hurts to move or walk (well it is for me) how do you exercise? wouldnt that cause you more pain? lol i just feel like not moving

If you exercise on most of the days, you're cramps during your 3-4 day period should be less. I exercise even when I get it but taking an Ibuprofen and going for a run.

I don't want to get into specifics of how exercise might help you but if you exercise during your period, it lasts shorter.

Try Pamprin, it works really well for me. That or pour really warm water on a face cloth and rest it over you pelvis- works wonders.

Oh, and living in a house of girls is always fun. I live with 3 others girls... and we all know what happens when girls live together. So put on a chick flick and break out the chocolate or something.

Like Cnussey and Leap said, once you get going the pain lessens. It's just really hard to motivate yourself to go for a jog when you're hurting.

Myself and my sister were raised by a single mother in a lower middle-class family. My mom worked as a lab tech and didn't make a TON of money, but knew all the right things to do with the money she made. While I never was given everything I needed, and had to work to buy the things I wanted since I was about 11, my mom was smart enough to start putting money away to get myself and my sister through college. She is the smartest, most caring person I have ever met. And if she wanted me to do something I was against, Would I?

Absolutely the **** not.

Your parents made the choice to have kids, and the choice to raise them the way that they wanted. You are 50% of the genetics of both each of your parents. Dawkin's selfish gene theory says (with a lot of evidence to back it up) that your parents raised you to give you the maximal opportunity to reach reproductive success. In turn, by you going on to survive and repopulate, your genes (and thus theirs) stay in the gene pool. Raising you not only benefited you, but it indirectly benefits them. If there was no benefit for them, no one would have children and our species simply would not exist.

So, you shouldn't feel that you owe everything to your parents. They have done everything they can to raise you to be a healthy adult, and you now are able to go off and live the world as your own person to do your own things.

I respect my mother immensely. And I appreciate everything she has done for me and my sister. But I am my own person, with my own thoughts, beliefs, morals, and actions. And my mother should respect that, as well. When I was 12, I had doubts about the faith I was being raised in (Roman Catholic), so I told my mother I didn't wish to attend church with her anymore. She was accepting of that, because I am my own person. The start of your post seems to infer that I choose individual > family because I had a bad go with family life and feel I owe nothing to them. On the contrary, I appreciate everything that was done for me. But we live about 80 years of complete, pointless existence. If someone else in the world wanted me to spend that time doing something I didn't want to do--I'm sorry, but that is just not happening.

I COMPLETELY agree!

(and I love your display pic... deadmau5 = amazing! Let's be best friends hahaha)

Archived