Premed 101 Forums

USMLE required for US fellowship?

Hi everyone,

I'm interested in doing a fellowship in diagnostic radiology in US once I finish my residency here in Canada, but I haven't taken USMLE step 1 or 2. I was wondering whether USMLE is required for US fellowship applications??

Any help would be greatly appreciated! :)

I also am very interested to know this. However, not sure you'd want to take peoples word for it from a forum (esp since it may vary from school to school), I would just call the actual programs you are interested in and ask them. (I have been meaning to do this for a while now but have not yet bothered, mostly due to laziness :P)

Hi there,

I've been in contact recently with a number of US radiology fellowship programs and whether the USMLEs are required or not seems to depend largely on the school. Some schools will accept the MCCQEs whereas some will not.

Cheers,

Kirsteen

Hi there,

Most recently, I was in touch with Brigham and Women's and they do require the USMLE (all 3 parts) for their neurorads fellowship.

Many fellowship programs will post their USMLE requirements on their fellowship webpages.

Cheers,

Kirsteen

Do you know if they care about your marks on the USMLE or just that you've passed? Thanks!

Most of the competitive programs in a given speciality (example radiology) do use your scores as a selection criterion. Even though the makers of the USMLE exam state it is not meant to be used in this manner most programs still do. From what I have read, as long as you are a decent number above the average you should be fine. Example: "The average score for matching in radiology is reportedly around 220 to 230, with scores higher than 240 necessary for the higher caliber programs."

Also, look at this site:

http://medliorate.wordpress.com/2008/10/21/residency-specialty-average-usmle-step-1-score/

Although obviously this is not set in stone it pretty much looks as though the more competitive the program you want to get into the better you need to rock the exams to be considered. Hope this helps.

Most of the competitive programs in a given speciality (example radiology) do use your scores as a selection criterion. Even though the makers of the USMLE exam state it is not meant to be used in this manner most programs still do. From what I have read, as long as you are a decent number above the average you should be fine. Example: "The average score for matching in radiology is reportedly around 220 to 230, with scores higher than 240 necessary for the higher caliber programs."

Also, look at this site:

http://medliorate.wordpress.com/2008/10/21/residency-specialty-average-usmle-step-1-score/

Although obviously this is not set in stone it pretty much looks as though the more competitive the program you want to get into the better you need to rock the exams to be considered. Hope this helps.

sorry, were you talking about residency programs or fellowships? I know step 1 is huge for residency, but was under the impression that it was not so important for fellowships.

I was talking about residency not fellowships. For fellowships I am sure (or would like to think) that the biggest part is your performance record, letters of reference from people who have supervised you throughout your residency, and maybe any other accomplishments etc. you have achieved during your residency.

However, if applicants are really similar they may resort to other things like past USMLE scores etc?

Who knows..there is often some subjectivity in admissions decisions anyways at some point during the decision.

Archived