Premed 101 Forums

international medical graduate

Guest pehlivanov

Guest pehlivanov

hi all

I have finished MD in medecin in Bulgaria and now I would like to apply in McGill.

Do I have to pass MCAT?

My GPA is 3.72.

Guest medicator007

I am fairly certain that you would need to write the MCAT. As far as I know only med-P applicants coming straight out of CEGEP are exempt from the exam.

Medicator

Guest montrealpremed

Hi Pehlivanov,

If i understand correctly, you already have your MD, so you're a doctor. If you want (or have) to re-do medical school, then you have to write the MCAT. However I believe you qualify as a foreign doctor which means that you have to do equivalency exams, re-do some parts of medical school, do a residency, and pass the french exam to be able to work in Quebec.

www.msss.gouv.qc.ca/sujet...uebec.html

Maybe this helps,

Good luck

Guest pehlivanov

thank you for the answers.

I would like to ask you about the other univesities in Quebec like university of Montreal, Concordia and Laval. I have not seen as an admission requirment MCAT there. At the link that is given previously it is written that some of the credits can be transfered.

Guest medicator007

Concordia does NOT have a medical school... the other 3 medical schools in Quebec are located at Laval, Sherbrooke and Montreal as the other forums on this discussion board indicate. Since the primary language of instruction at those schools is French the MCAT is NOT required for admission to those institutions.

As for transfer of credits, I do not understand exactly what you are referring to. If you clarify your question we can try to answer it more completely.

Medicator

Guest pehlivanov

Thank you for the answer Medicator007.

Because I have passed most of the courses for MD maybe i may receive extemption for some courses.

But i it does not matter because I want to become a MD here.

What do you think is the possibily to be admitted in UDM is great or it is not.

Thank you.

Guest medicator007

It certainly is POSSIBLE that you receive an exemption for some courses in medical school, I can only speak for McGill (which I attend) and say that the nature of our curriculum makes it highly unlikely that you will be given any exemption for your MD. We have a student in our class who nearly completed an MD at a foreign school and has to do all classes just the same as any other student.

As for chances of admission at UDM. I don't really have the inside information into how they work, since I did not apply to the three french language schools when I was seeking admission. I do know that they take very few out of province students and to the best of my knowledge, NO STUDENTS who are not canadian citizens. I don't know your citizenship status, but that certainly would be a factor in admissions. Best advice would be to post your question in the UDM forum and someone there can likely give you a better answer.

Cheers,

Medicator

• 2 weeks later...
Guest pehlivanov

I would like to ask one more question.

Can I apply for MSc or PhD in pathology or in other area of biological and medical sciences without passing MCCEE. It is written that GRE must be taken. What is GRE?

Thank you in advance

Guest medicator007

As far as I know since an MSc or PhD in Pathology are not medical degrees and give not entitlement to medical practice you would not be required to write the MCCQE (medical council of Canada qualifiying exam), nor the MCAT (medical college admission test).

As for the GRE, it is the Graduate Record Examination. It is a standardized test used for admission to graduate degree programs in some institutions, such as a masters or doctorate in pathology. It has sections in quantitative asssessment, verbal and writing skilss but to be honest I don't know much more than that since i never really looked into it.

Hope that helps,

Medicator

Guest pehlivanov

thank you very much for the information.

I do not know what to do. May be it will be better to apply for MSc which will be much easier and then start taking the MCC exams.

Archived