Premed 101 Forums

French Stream

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • 3 months later...

hi,

i was just wondering, for those people who have applied and been interviewed via the CNFS stream, how proficient is one required to be in french in order to be successful at the interview stage?

also, if one applies via the CNFS stream, but claims bilingual status (i.e., having an active knowledge of french and english) do they conduct the interview in both languages or french only? do you have to be able to answer each question in french or can you answer in english?

than you.

• 2 weeks later...
hi,

i was just wondering, for those people who have applied and been interviewed via the CNFS stream, how proficient is one required to be in french in order to be successful at the interview stage?

also, if one applies via the CNFS stream, but claims bilingual status (i.e., having an active knowledge of french and english) do they conduct the interview in both languages or french only? do you have to be able to answer each question in french or can you answer in english?

than you.

The CNFS stream is part of the French stream (ie you would be in the French class & all your practical exams, rotations, etc., would be in French). You need to actually be proficient in the language, and the interview will be conducted in French, asides from maybe a question or two to prove you can speak English.

Pharm10 : Est-ce qu'on est obligé d'habiter en Outaouais lorsqu'on vient du Québec pour que notre demande soit considérée ?? :o (Do we need to be from the Outaouais region to apply as a Quebec resident ?)

Thanks

Les étudiants de n'importe où au Québec seront considérés, pas seulement ceux de l'Outaouais. Je crois que la note minimale requise est peut-être plus basse pour l'Outaouais par contre, mais je ne suis pas certaine...

The CNFS stream is part of the French stream (ie you would be in the French class & all your practical exams, rotations, etc., would be in French). You need to actually be proficient in the language, and the interview will be conducted in French, asides from maybe a question or two to prove you can speak English.

Les étudiants de n'importe où au Québec seront considérés, pas seulement ceux de l'Outaouais. Je crois que la note minimale requise est peut-être plus basse pour l'Outaouais par contre, mais je ne suis pas certaine...

i'm confused. i thought only the class notes and some of the rotations were in french. from what i have read of previous posts, the texts are english and many rotations (like peds at CHEO) are in english.

can someone confirm or refute this please? is satsuma around?

i'm confused. i thought only the class notes and some of the rotations were in french. from what i have read of previous posts, the texts are english and many rotations (like peds at CHEO) are in english.

can someone confirm or refute this please? is satsuma around?

Well, peds at CHEO is in english. The only other rotation you can do in English in 3rd year is Mandatory Selectives. All else during 3rd year is in French. The 4th year rotations are in the language you choose, as they're mostly electives (you can do them in China if you wish!).

The texts are in whatever language you want, as there is no mandatory textbooks, you buy what you wish. The written exams are bilingual, so your choice. But all the practical exams (ie OSCEs) are in French, and you can loose points for using English words.

I guess I just meant to say that you should definitely be able to interview in French if you apply through CNFS, as you would be in the French class and your language proficiency will be required/tested many times after the interview. That's the whole point of having a French class anyway. You definitely don't have to speak it perfectly, and it's totally fine to have an accent/to be a bit better in English, but you definitely have to be proficient in spoken French... If you say you're bilingual, you really should be.

Oh and this is a new policy from the year just before me... it used to be that you could choose to do your third year in English if you preferred... but it changed as of the meds2010.

Well, peds at CHEO is in english. The only other rotation you can do in English in 3rd year is Mandatory Selectives. All else during 3rd year is in French. The 4th year rotations are in the language you choose, as they're mostly electives (you can do them in China if you wish!).

The texts are in whatever language you want, as there is no mandatory textbooks, you buy what you wish. The written exams are bilingual, so your choice. But all the practical exams (ie OSCEs) are in French, and you can loose points for using English words.

I guess I just meant to say that you should definitely be able to interview in French if you apply through CNFS, as you would be in the French class and your language proficiency will be required/tested many times after the interview. That's the whole point of having a French class anyway. You definitely don't have to speak it perfectly, and it's totally fine to have an accent/to be a bit better in English, but you definitely have to be proficient in spoken French... If you say you're bilingual, you really should be.

Oh and this is a new policy from the year just before me... it used to be that you could choose to do your third year in English if you preferred... but it changed as of the meds2010.

okay. well that clears things up.

i can speak french well, but i'm just not perfect. i'm applying from a part of the country where there is not much support for people who are bilingual. i'm just hoping they take that into consideration if i am fortunate enough to receive and interview.

okay. well that clears things up.

i can speak french well, but i'm just not perfect. i'm applying from a part of the country where there is not much support for people who are bilingual. i'm just hoping they take that into consideration if i am fortunate enough to receive and interview.

Unfortunately, they don't really care where your from when assessing your French - just like they wouldn't hold someone from QC to lower standards if they were to interview in the English stream. The classmates that I've met in the French stream (I'm in English) are all pretty bilingual. They'll assess you based on skill, not where you're from.

That said, not everyone has is perfectly bilingual - if you're comfortable holding a conversation, you'll be fine.

Good luck!

• 1 month later...

Hey folks just need some help here.

I came out of UBC and have never applied out east because for some weird reason my hard earned 83% turns into an ugly 3.56cgpa or something of that sorts... horrid really... but I am applying to the french stream CNFS.

Question: does UOttawa french kick out your worst year like UofA... that would increase that score for sure... I took nearly 195 credits as an engineer and took 8 courses per semester in the last 2 yrs... so clearly I am not a traditional applicant. Just wondering if people know how the adcoms look at everything....

Hey folks just need some help here.

I came out of UBC and have never applied out east because for some weird reason my hard earned 83% turns into an ugly 3.56cgpa or something of that sorts... horrid really... but I am applying to the french stream CNFS.

Question: does UOttawa french kick out your worst year like UofA... that would increase that score for sure... I took nearly 195 credits as an engineer and took 8 courses per semester in the last 2 yrs... so clearly I am not a traditional applicant. Just wondering if people know how the adcoms look at everything....

uOttawa does not "kick out" a worst year. they take your three most recent full time years and apply the wGPA formula to determine your wGPA. it works like this...

let's say your three most recent are years 2, 3, and 4 of undergrad.

GPA year 2 x 1

GPA year 3 x 2

GPA year 4 x 3

whatever number you get, divide this number by 6 (1 + 2 + 3 = 6).

that number is your wGPA.

• 3 weeks later...

Thinking about that Osmosis, in a same year, the number of credits attributed to each course in taken in consideration, right!?

I mean each grade you get for a course is multiplied by its number of credits or does a 1 credits course contribute to the wPGA the same as a 4 credits course?

Thinking about that Osmosis, in a same year, the number of credits attributed to each course in taken in consideration, right!?

I mean each grade you get for a course is multiplied by its number of credits or does a 1 credits course contribute to the wPGA the same as a 4 credits course?

not totally sure what you mean. you have to have a minimum 8 half courses for the year to count.

i'm not sure about the credits of each individual course, but it is the overall GPA of that particular year that matters most.

What I mean is that you have in a same semester easy courses usually couting for 1 and hard courses couting for 4 credits.

Knowing that you can choose which courses to take, you can choose on purpose 4 or 5 easy courses each semester.

When you calculate the wgpa if i'm not wrong it should go like this:

Example: _________ Choice 1 __________ Choice 2

cours 1(has 3 crédits): ___3.7 __________ 3.7 x 3 = 11.1

cours 2(has 2 crédits): ___4.0 __________ 4.0 x 2 = 8.0

cours 3(has 1 crédits): ___3.7 __________ 3.7 x 1 = 3.7

cours 4(has 4 crédits): ___3.7 __________ 3.7 x 4 = 14.8

cours 5: _______________3.9 __________ 3.9 x (x) = X

cours 6: _______________3.7 __________ 3.7 x (y) = Y

cours 7: _______________4.0 __________ 4.0 x (z) = Z

cours 8: _______________3.7 __________ 3.7 x (w) = W

________ Avg=(3.7+4.0+3.7+3.7 _______ Avg=11.1+8.0+3.7+14.8

_________+3.9+3.7+4.0+3.7) __________ + X + Y + Z + W

_________ /8 = 3.8 __________________ / Total crédits = 3.75

You don't just add up everything and then devide by 8 ! right?

When you're calculating that year's wgpa do you consider each course in a proportion according to the credits it has!?:confused:

What I mean is that you have in a same semester easy courses usually couting for 1 and hard courses couting for 4 credits.

Knowing that you can choose which courses to take, you can choose on purpose 4 or 5 easy courses each semester.

When you calculate the wgpa if i'm not wrong it should go like this:

Example: _________ Choice 1 __________ Choice 2

cours 1(has 3 crédits): ___3.7 __________ 3.7 x 3 = 11.1

cours 2(has 2 crédits): ___4.0 __________ 4.0 x 2 = 8.0

cours 3(has 1 crédits): ___3.7 __________ 3.7 x 1 = 3.7

cours 4(has 4 crédits): ___3.7 __________ 3.7 x 4 = 14.8

cours 5: _______________3.9 __________ 3.9 x (x) = X

cours 6: _______________3.7 __________ 3.7 x (y) = Y

cours 7: _______________4.0 __________ 4.0 x (z) = Z

cours 8: _______________3.7 __________ 3.7 x (w) = W

________ Avg=(3.7+4.0+3.7+3.7 _______ Avg=11.1+8.0+3.7+14.8

_________+3.9+3.7+4.0+3.7) __________ + X + Y + Z + W

_________ /8 = 3.8 __________________ / Total crédits = 3.75

You don't just add up everything and then devide by 8 ! right?

When you're calculating that year's wgpa do you consider each course in a proportion according to the credits it has!?:confused:

okay. calculating your GPA for the semester/year are entirely different then calculating wGPA. your university calendar should have a breakdown in the introduction of your university handbook or calendar of the letter grade and corresponding GPA. at my university, we work on a 4.0 scale. all i would do when calulating my semester GPA is take each course, add up all the marks with their given value (+A = 4, A- = 3.7, B+ = 3.3....) and then divide this number by the total number of courses for that year/term.

so, let's say you have student x, and their year went like this...

+A = 4.0

+A = 4.0

A- = 3.7

A- = 3.7

B+ = 3.3

so, you add up all these individual course GPA's

4 + 4 + 3.7 + 3.7 + 3.3 = 18.7

then, divide 18.7 by the total number of courses that year/term

18.7 / 5 = 3.74

3.74 is your GPA for the year/term.

Thanks again !

I do understand perfectly what you said!:D

then the main idea is: all courses do weigh the same in that year's gpa!!:rolleyes:

The effect that'll have a small tiny course (counting for 1 credit) will contribute in the same proportion as a big huge difficult 4 credit course!!?!

That's astonishing!:eek:

I guess you are aware of "a course's credits" right? Tell me if you don't have any credits attached to courses usually, otherwise you wouldn't seize my interrogation!:P

Thanks again !

I do understand perfectly what you said!:D

then the main idea is: all courses do weigh the same in that year's gpa!!:rolleyes:

The effect that'll have a small tiny course (counting for 1 credit) will contribute in the same proportion as a big huge difficult 4 credit course!!?!

That's astonishing!:eek:

I guess you are aware of "a course's credits" right? Tell me if you don't have any credits attached to courses usually, otherwise you wouldn't seize my interrogation!:P

i'm not sure how it works as your school, and based on the schematic above it appears as though different courses have various weighting assigned to them (e.g., 1 credit vs 4). at my university, all courses are weighted equally (i.e., 3 credits for all).

I seeeee!! Well that explains everything!!:P

You just don't have this issue at all!;)

Well yeah this's the case in my university, otherwise you would choose 5 Easy easy courses per semester, do it two good years in a row and try yourself at Med school !

I seeeee!! Well that explains everything!!:P

You just don't have this issue at all!;)

Well yeah this's the case in my university, otherwise you would choose 5 Easy easy courses per semester, do it two good years in a row and try yourself at Med school !

i wish. i didn't really have any "easy" years. i was in undegrad for awhile b/c i switched programs, was hating my first program. started taking classes that i found interesting, developed good work habits, studied hard, and watched the gpa get better and better.

this is what i like about uOttawa's wGPA system, it weighs the latter years greater than the fomer. in my case, it works to my advantage.

Haha So you're not alone! I got one of the weirdest profiles 5 years of college just to be completing one complete degree! and still have to do more undergraduate studies since last 2 years were awful (got into a good program that satisfied me at the time, so did nothing spectacular with my grades) then decided to aim for medicine again, so I have to do the job all over again! :P

I hope they don't mind about that soup i'm about to present to them in a few years!!:eek:

Feeling like a frog trying to catch stars with my tongue!!!

Ps: Nobody found anything about wGPa cutoffs and wGPA of prople that were accepted in the French stream!?!

Archived