Premed 101 Forums

Quebec Residency

Caide

According to McGill's website:

"To claim Québec resident status, you must demonstrate that one of the following situations applies to you:

2) You resided in Québec for twelve months before the beginning of the semester and you were not studying full-time at a Québec educational institution during that 12-month period."

Does this also apply after I earn my bachelor's? Could I graduate from McGill in 4 years, take a break and work/do research for a year, and then apply to McGill med school as a Quebec resident (increasing my chances dramatically)?

• 1 month later...

How about if I just do the first year of a masters program as a part-time student? This is not uncommon for the masters program I'm interested in, and can be achieved simply by switching some of the research credits to the summer. People usually do this so that they can have more time to work with different profs during the year without having to commit to something specific for their thesis.

This should fulfill the 12 months as a non full time student requirement, but how does it look on an admissions application? I'm guessing the benefits of being in the IP pool outweigh the costs of having part-time grad work, but does anyone have any experience with this?

Run it by them. Also, you will need the MCAT.

I'll send an email and post what they say. As for the MCAT, this is from the mcgill admissions FAQS:

Note: This policy is in effect as of July 1, 2010.

Am I required to write the MCAT?

Applicants who are eligible for the Quebec University and the Out of Province Canadian University categories and whose degree for the basis of admission is from a Canadian university are not required to write the MCAT.

so no one from a Canadian school needs the MCAT for McGill anymore.

The policy before was that only OOP and internationals have to write the MCAT right? and most OOP applicants write the MCAT anyway, so I don't think it really makes that much of a difference. Especially since you have the option of submitting your score if you do well, which most realistic OOP applicants do.

I'll send an email and post what they say. As for the MCAT, this is from the mcgill admissions FAQS:

Note: This policy is in effect as of July 1, 2010.

Am I required to write the MCAT?

Applicants who are eligible for the Quebec University and the Out of Province Canadian University categories and whose degree for the basis of admission is from a Canadian university are not required to write the MCAT.

so no one from a Canadian school needs the MCAT for McGill anymore.

Wow, so for OOP applicants, they'll just give more weighting to GPA, ECs, and LoRs?

Wow, so for OOP applicants, they'll just give more weighting to GPA, ECs, and LoRs?

That makes sense. The website also says that you have the option to submit MCAT scores if you want, and they will consider it in their decision. It doesn't say how the weighting is adjusted, or how they would compare ppl who submit scores vs ppl who don't.

Check out section 3:

http://www.mcgill.ca/medicine/admissions/criteria/med-r-reqs/

• 1 month later...

I found this old PM from 15 months ago for what it may be worth:

When you apply next for admission to McGill Med School, ideally, you should be a Permanent Resident of Canada who is a recognized resident of the Province of Quebec as per the rules established by the Minister of Education.(although it is possible to be a permanent resident who is not recognized as a resident of Quebec). As the former, you will be part of a pool eligible for 75 seats, though half of those seats are reserved for students seeking the dual degree Programs. So, really you will be fighting for one of 37/38 seats, although I presume the number goes up if there are less applicants accepted for the dual degree Programs, then more seats will be available. If you have not made proof of Quebec Residency, then you will be consider as an OOP (out of province) and I believe the quota is 16.

If you only recently became a Permanent Resident of Canada, I cannot understand how you now are already a Quebec Resident according to law, for which you must make strict proof. As an applicant, Quebec residency status must be “fully established/proved” by the application deadline which I believe is in January 2010. Go to http://www.mcgill.ca/legaldocuments/overview/medapplicants/ as your starting point.

Your tuition fee are determined by your precise status. According to http://www.mcgill.ca/legaldocuments/submissions/when/ the final deadline for submitting complete required documents to prove Quebec residency is December 1, 2009 for fall session courses (when med school begins).

It appears to be somewhat complicated and I am not now familiar with what constitutes Quebec residency, although I believe and such to verification by you, you need to be living in Quebec for one full year and not be a fulltime student during this time. So, I do not know whether you shall have qualified and be able to prove Quebec residency by the deadline of December 1st. See http://www.mcgill.ca/files/legaldocuments/QuebecAttestationFormstextJuly2007.pdf and look at Nos. 5, 6 and 7 and at k and n, paragraph 2. I donot know if you are perhaps covered by 7 and k, para. 2. If you are already a Quebec resident and can prove this submitting all documents to McGill by December 1st latest, then you can apply to McGill in Jan. 2010 for admission in Sept. 2010 class.

And then it may be possible to take fulltime courses this coming year at university. However, as you do not want to jeapordize your status, you need expert advice on this prior to considering fulltime student status in Quebec commencing in the fall.

Let’s assume, you cannot, I would assume that in your application to follow, you would fall into the category OOP and if accepted, your tuition would be higher until you eventually prove Quebec residency while a student at McGill already.

• 3 weeks later...

What if you work for a year in Quebec and then go back to school full-time and THEN apply to med.

For example work July 2009-August 2010 and then school full-time Sept 2010. I am wondering if the 12 months have to be preceding the Sept. commencement of medical school or if it can just be any 12 months at one point in time while you live in Quebec.

How about if I just do the first year of a masters program as a part-time student? This is not uncommon for the masters program I'm interested in, and can be achieved simply by switching some of the research credits to the summer. People usually do this so that they can have more time to work with different profs during the year without having to commit to something specific for their thesis.

This should fulfill the 12 months as a non full time student requirement, but how does it look on an admissions application? I'm guessing the benefits of being in the IP pool outweigh the costs of having part-time grad work, but does anyone have any experience with this?

Archived