Premed 101 Forums

Biochem or pharmacology??

i am currently trying to figure out what major i want to pursue at mcgill. i recently got my acceptance letter for the biochemistry program but i would be really interested in pharmacology. i would also like to apply to medicine when i finish my bachelor. so anyone here in pharmacology/biochem at mcgill would have any advice or suggestions? i really don't know what to choose, i am really passionate about pharamcology but i would also like to choose a program that would give me a fairly competitive cru score for my application to medicine. also, any comments on the research opportunities for the pharmacology students at mcgill??

i am currently trying to figure out what major i want to pursue at mcgill. i recently got my acceptance letter for the biochemistry program but i would be really interested in pharmacology. i would also like to apply to medicine when i finish my bachelor. so anyone here in pharmacology/biochem at mcgill would have any advice or suggestions? i really don't know what to choose, i am really passionate about pharamcology but i would also like to choose a program that would give me a fairly competitive cru score for my application to medicine. also, any comments on the research opportunities for the pharmacology students at mcgill??

Big congrats on the acceptance to mcgill! this is my advice, as many other people on this forum would agree with me, choose what you enjoy. so if you think that's pharmacology, then go with pharmacology. There's plenty of research opportunities regardless what "background" you have. After all, there's lots of overlap between different "biological" sciences at mcgill. and you are not limited to do research within the pharmacology department either. ie. you could work in the mcmed building, with other biochemistry researchers. :D

there`s plenty of overlap mainly in the U1. after that programs start to differ some more than others.

i graduated from biochem so if you have any specific questions you can always contact me by pm. as for research oppurtunities you can get a summer internship or work throughout the school year in any lab from any program. im not sure about pharmacology but biochem does offer a real good background for research in my opinion it does a better job than other majors. they also have the honour`s program in which you can gain lab experience as part of your course load.

if your gunning for med, do what you like as suggested already. i`d suggest going through the courses that are required for both programs and taking a look if they interest you. you can always do a minor in pharm and major or honours in biochem.

I think if your goal is meds pharmacology would probably be more useful in the long run [especially if you may want to go into a specialty like anaesthesiology]. BUT some medical specialties also require extensive biochemistry knowledge of certain pathways etc. for instance metabolics for genetic clinicians so a biochem background would be useful too. If you like research, you could likely incorporate both into a project...since pharmacology and biochemistry do overlap extensively.

Both require lots of memorization, biochemistry probably more so than pharm. If both programs offer similar courses in year 1, just go into the one you feel stronger about and that way you may still be able to switch into the other before second year starts?

ok well thank u guys for all the information! i think im gonna choose pharmacology... but since im also interested in biochem do u think i can major in pharmacology with a minor in biochem? i mean is that possible? also whats the advantages of being in the honours program (except for havin more courses) vs just a major? do u have more chances of being admitted into the pharmacology graduate program and thats it? i realize this might seem like a really silly question but im still in cegep and havent gone to univ yet so i really have no idea:D

you`ll have roughly the same courses in honours. the only difference is they offer a lab course where you conduct research as an individual project. as for getting into pharmacology masters program it doesn`t matter which program you do as long as you meet the minimum GPA requirements which shouldnt be too hard to acheive considering you are gunning for med anyways. it should be around a B+ or B.

you should really just check out the course profile for both programs. this way you can also see the honour`s and major difference, and whether or not they offer a minor in biochem.

ok well thank u guys for all the information! i think im gonna choose pharmacology... but since im also interested in biochem do u think i can major in pharmacology with a minor in biochem? i mean is that possible? also whats the advantages of being in the honours program (except for havin more courses) vs just a major? do u have more chances of being admitted into the pharmacology graduate program and thats it? i realize this might seem like a really silly question but im still in cegep and havent gone to univ yet so i really have no idea:D

Honors is good if you are interested in research. It gives you a nice intro to research and you may even be able to turn your honors thesis into a Masters (or do a Masters with the same supervisor if both of you get along very well...this is especially good as you will already have worked with this person and it will help you during your Masters). The most important advice I can give you is to choose your supervisor carefully...many take on students even though they are too busy and sometimes not even around (travelling, sabbatical etc). Ask around for who is a good supervisor (i.e. someone who can meet with you regularly to discuss your progress etc., someone who wants you to learn and do well and challenges you). Honors theses programs are generally more difficult than just a regular program, however, you learn a lot of transferable skills even if you end up not staying in a research intensive field. The supervisor you get (and the lab you are in including the people in it) really determine how things pan out-- if you have an absent or uncaring supervisor, clicky labmates who do not want to help you or get to know you etc. then it will be very difficult! [Although it can still be done...the more independent you are the less difficulty you will have if you do not have someone 'holding your hand' every step of the way]. Just a heads up to choose carefully, not to scare you.

^ very good advice. keep in mind you do not have to decide to commit to honours until the end of your second year. my experience in the honour's program proved to be much more difficult than others for the very reasons that were already mentioned. professor was absent tough to work with other colleagues... however it was still a great experience in hindsight at least.

Archived