Premed 101 Forums

second degree or make up year

Hello folks,

I am planning on doing something to improve my application for american medical schools (I realistically don't have a shot at canadian ones) but can't decide what will be most beneficial. I don't want to do a masters and from what I've been reading on this forum it seems a bit useless. I was wondering if it would be better to become a degree student at a university or do an informal non-degree make up year. Any thoughts?

Hello folks,

I am planning on doing something to improve my application for american medical schools (I realistically don't have a shot at canadian ones) but can't decide what will be most beneficial. I don't want to do a masters and from what I've been reading on this forum it seems a bit useless. I was wondering if it would be better to become a degree student at a university or do an informal non-degree make up year. Any thoughts?

Hey Hackintosh,

I would say enroll in a second degree that you can finish in 2 years (most of your credits would transfer, if you pick the program carefully). Apply after the first year, if you don't get in, you would have another chance of improving your GPA with the second year, and apply again.

I may be a dreamer, but I think if you did this second degree (improved your GPA) you would definently have a chance in Canadian schools.

In the meantime you can upgrade your MCAT if you are willing and gain more volunteer experience. Don't give up. Best of luck!

I agree with Shell.

I would also add though, that a Master's degree is definitely not a waste of time by any stretch. The key is whether or not you're interested in any sort of research. If you are, the possibilities are endless as far as what you can study, and the research, life experience, and references you gain are absolutely invaluable.

Don't dismiss a graduate degree even if your ultimate goal is medicine. You can gain immensely from them, and as long as you reflect that in your application I don't see how it can hinder you. However, if its your GPA that is really really holding you back, then obviously the second UG degree is your best bet. But if you're not that far off, I'd definitely consider a Master's degree if you're interested in research.

I'm curious about this as well. I think another thing to consider would be if all schools look at the second degree years and if so how (do they use it as cumulative with your 1st undergrad years, or only look at second degree etc) as opposed to if all schools consider a special year? Can someone help me find these answers or provide insight to which they chose and why?

Apply after the first year, if you don't get in, you would have another chance of improving your GPA with the second year, and apply again.

Shell just wondering if I could do this for Canadian schools as well. I am currently looking into to doing a second degree and just thought that I would have to wait until I completed the 2 years before starting the application process.

I have a 3.67, with two years at 3.85 and the other two kind of crappy. I was hoping I could do well for one year and show adcoms that I am capable of handling school and my previous bad performance was really due to the issues I had to deal with. In this case, would it still be beneficial to get a second degree as opposed to a single non-degree student year? Also, does it matter what college I choose to go to (don't really want to go to UofT anymore)? or what major I choose?

Archived