Premed 101 Forums

Opinion needed for a Québécois applicant

Guest noncestvrai

Guest noncestvrai

Hello all,

I am a McGill physiology graduate (01) and soon to finish a graduate degree(M.Sc.), with respective GPAs of 3.5 and 4.0 and a borderline VR8 PS10 BS12 and WSQ.

I did some stuff on the side for extracurriculars.

AND my first language is french...do they take that into account for evaluating my file?

Thank you

Guest LoveMcGill

A very large number of my classmates are Québécois. Because of the French language issue, the "break" that all of the applicants get is that the MCAT essay score is not considered and that a poor VR score can be made up for by high scores in the other two sections (this applies to all applicants, regardless of residency or language status).

Having said that, as an in-province applicant who meets all the cut-offs, your chances of getting an interview are very good. Hope this helps. Good luck with your application.

Guest noncestvrai

Thank you, I hope to be considered, I don't know what I could do more for them, with my grad school...but it remains that my undergrad GPA is boderline...principally due to first year which was difficult, being a francophone, though I had significant improvement...from a 2.64 to a 3.98 in my last year, I don't know if they value that as well.

We'll see...

Guest medicator007

There is only one way to know any further... apply! (I know thats not the answer you want, but thats theway it goes)

Though as said earlier, as an In-Province applicant meeting the cutoffs you have a GREAT chance of getting an interview which already gives you a pretty darn good shot of getting in.

Good Luck,

Medicator

Guest noncestvrai

I will apply for sure, I did not waste my summer for nothing(MCAT) but I sincerely hope that either UdeM or McGill will accept me since I would really appreciate staying in Mtl...c'est toi ma ville!

But if I need to move...that's ok also, I like chanlleges, and even more medicine, which is well taught all around Canada more or less.

Guest medicator007

You raise a good point.. the bottom line truly is that medicine is well taught at ALL schools in canada. Certainly wanting to stay in Montreal is a big factor, it certainly was for me, but being prepared to move in order to complete a dream is certainly a necessity.

Out of curiosity, will you also be applying to Laval and Sherbrooke?

Medicator

Guest noncestvrai

Well, I will be applying or have applied to McMaster, Western, Ottawa, Alberta, Calgary, McGill, UdeM, UdeS, UdeL...that's enough I think, but most of them I have only a slight chance, being out-of-province and all. By the way, if you are in med II you must know Ben Croft, JS Aucoin, and Jonathan Hislop right...all alumni of the MNI, all of whom I know, I hope to carry the tradition!

I will be done from my master I hope before Christmas, and I was actually in unit 6, for the neuroanatomy and lectures for a class in 2002, very cool people in that class, including Ruba Benini and an old bio hockey fellow Scott Owens, to name a few.

Anyhow, maybe I know McGill too much and should give UdeM a chance...well to tell you the truth, I will take any chance that is tossed at me, again Canada having excellent med schools, from coast to coast!

Guest medicator007

Well best of luck.. you certainly applied to enough schools to have a decent shot of acceptance.

I most certainly know those three MNI alumni, so u do have a proud tradition to try and carry on!

Best of luck,

Medicator

• 2 weeks later...
Guest cutieyellow

I was just like you, really wanting to stay in MTL, but i didn't apply to McGill (due to a 29 MCATs) and was waitlisted at U de M so when the acceptance from U Laval came, off i went !

At first i wasn't too happy to be leaving such a great city to go to a much...hmm smaller one (did you know we only have like 9-10 english movies playing at all times) but now that i've been here for almost 3 months, i can tell you that Med at U Laval is pretty great! The system is different from U de M, we have classes, small grps (30 students or so) and Problem based learning (which is ALL of U de M's curriculum) so it gives us a little break from constantly having our noses in books, researching things. I think it's a very nice curriculum and well, Quebec is starting to feel like a second home... :eek Whatever the case is, i'm sure that if you have to leave the city, you'll be happy :)

Good luck!

Marie

Guest noncestvrai

Salut Marie,

Je te comprends, mais je n'ai aucun probleme avec l'universite Laval, au contraire il y a de bonnes equipes pour la recherche, le programme est flexible (4-5 ans)...

Tu es dans la classe a un tres bon pote a moi, Maxime Richer, il faisait son doctorat dans mon lab!

Je vais faire mon possible!

On va voir ce que les ecoles en pensent.:)

Merci!

Guest cutieyellow

Mais Max le fait encore son doc...Il est un bon client de Via-Rail, on le voit seulement aux exams...a part de ca, Max reste a Montreal dans le fond... Il fait sa medecine a distance - on lui dit tout le temps qu'il finira par virer fou ! :)

Guest noncestvrai

Max est pas fou, il est un chercheur dans l'ame, et un bon, il sera un bon clinicien, sans doute egalement. Il est a l'ICM, mais avant il etait a l'institut neurologique de Montreal...dans mon lab.

Il est un grand garcon, il est capable.

Si je vais a Laval, je pense serieusement au MD/PhD...mais je suis pas bon comme Max a faire la navette!

Archived