Premed 101 Forums

OOP applicant: should I apply..?

Guest UBClebronjames

Guest UBClebronjames

Hello,

I am an out of province (BC) applicant and I would love some honest feedback concerning my chances of getting an interview and an acceptance at McGill.

I emailed med admissions at McGill and posed this question:

" I understand that you have space for only 5-7 out of province applicants due to government restrictions. My first question is what has been a competitive applicant for those 5-7 seats in terms of GPA and MCAT scores?

The answer I received was: about 3.75 and 33 MCATS"

I calculated my GPA using the McGill GPA Scale which I have listed below

85-100 A/A+ 4.00

80-84 A- 3.70

75-79 B+ 3.30

70-74 B 3.00

65-69 B- 2.70

60-64 C+ 2.30

55-59 C 2.00

50-54 D 1.00

I have completed and graduated with 4 full years (5 courses per term/ 10 year) of undergraduate studies. My first year is weaker than my rest as can be seen below:

first year GPA: 3.05

second year GPA: 3.68

2nd/3rd year summer GPA: 4.00

third year GPA: 3.75

fourth year GPA: 3.90

TOTAL GPA: 3.59 (3.57 w/o summer)

Excluding my first year marks my overall GPA would be: 3.79 (or 3.77 w/o summer).

Does McGill factor in a late-bloomer curve for applicants that didn't do as well in their first year of university?

With the GPA I have listed, and my MCAT scores of 35R (11-12-R-12), what is the probability of getting an interview at McGill, and accepted? (assume that I have a solid extracurricular back ground, since I believe that I do).

Could you please be as forth-coming and detailed as possible. (ie. do I have 20% chance or closer to 50%?)

Thanks so much for your help

I know you want a number, as did I when applying (in province) the last 2 years. Unfortunately, unless you're privy to the admissions database it's really impossible to say. I would say that you have good enough numbers (good GPA, excellent MCAT) to at least be competitive. Sorry for not having the answer you wanted, but you'll only really know by applying.

Dan

PS: Any relation to the next NBA superstar? :hat

Guest LoveMcGill

Your stats are very competitive. In my opinion, your chance of getting an interview is similar to the chance current OOP McGill Med students had prior to their applications. In other words, you have the profile of some of the successful OOP applicants, but as you can imagine this does not guarantee anything. Based on the number game, there might have been 5 people admitted with a given academic profile, but for those 5, another few ???100s??? with a very similar profile must have been rejected. Bottom line; apply - you stand as good a chance as any other solid candidate (though that chance might be much less than 10%). Best of luck.

• 2 weeks later...
Guest med2006McGill

"The assessment of the autobiographical letter, together with the confirmatory statements and amplifications contained in the reports from those referees chosen by the student, form the basis for a decision on whether an applicant possessing the academic performance criteria is to be invited for an interview."

That being said, as long as you meet the cut-offs, regardless of how high or low your GPA or MCAT scores are, you have a chance of getting an interview. Your GPA and MCAT scores only count in the end, after they're done interviewing you.

Good luck!

Archived