Premed 101 Forums

Waitlist movement before May 27

I just spoke to McMaster admissions office and they stated that as soon as a spot becomes available, they will offer it to the next person on the waitlist and NOT wait till after May 27.

I am on the waitlist for Mac, Queens and UWO. How do you think this will affect movement on the Mac waitlist? If people have Mac as their first choice, they could wait till May 27 to see if a spot opens up on the waitlist and reject any other offer. I think this really screws people on the waitlist. Any comments?

@OP: I don't think that people with Mac as their first choice will wait until the very last possible day to accept...They will probably wait well into the 2nd week, but not on the last day. This suggests that there will be a lot of free spots that open up on May 27th, but the question is whether these offers will be made immediately to the WLers.

Also, Western is currently undecided on whether to offer WL spots before May 27th. As of now, they are not, but apparently there has been 'talk' of changing this.

well uoft is also doing the same thing as pointed out in their blog. we just need some one to check with uwo queens and ottawa, perhaps those three will also be offering waitlistee before the 27th. I don't see how/why the situation would change for waitlistees in that case

So I just spoke to Queens and she said that waitlist would not be moving before May 27. When I told her about UofT offering spots as soon as it opens, she was surprised and so as I was speaking to her, she went on UofT admissions blog and read that UofT would be offering spots prior to May 27. So there seems to be some confusion in this regard.

So far Mac is moving before May 27 since I spoke to them and they said as soon as a spot opens, they will offer it. UofT is also doing the same. Can someone please call Ottawa and UWO and check.

So I just spoke to Queens and she said that waitlist would not be moving before May 27. When I told her about UofT offering spots as soon as it opens, she was surprised and so as I was speaking to her, she went on UofT admissions blog and read that UofT would be offering spots prior to May 27. So there seems to be some confusion in this regard.

So far Mac is moving before May 27 since I spoke to them and they said as soon as a spot opens, they will offer it. UofT is also doing the same. Can someone please call Ottawa and UWO and check.

UWO = not moving before May 27th, unless they change their mind - which I would be honestly surprised if they do. That would be a rather major decision to change mid cycle.

When I spoke to the person at Queens, she seemed surprised. So surprised that she even opened up UofT admissions blog where it was stated that waitlists would move before May 27. So who knows, may be Queens may change their mind and so could Western.

I think that Queens and Western will probably want WL movement before the 27th...Why would they surrender all their top ranked WLers to Toronto/Mac? Hopefully they'll make their finalized decision asap.

Exactly

You'd think the schools would have worked this out beforehand ...

I don't really understand how the system works if the schools only start after the 27th. Doesn't this essentially mean that if you're on the waitlist of one school, but were accepted to another, you essentially (unless you're an idiot) have to take the spot you were accepted at?

I guess it's way more efficient, and way more fair for waitlisters.

Exactly

You'd think the schools would have worked this out beforehand ...

Agreed - Looks like each did work it out but failed to talk to the other schools. One shouldn't have to go to a blog to find out official school policy :) Of course a blog is better than not knowing at all!

Western might want, likely want actually, to proceed but there are staffing/coordination issues. We were not prepared to initially do this initially at all.

I don't really understand how the system works if the schools only start after the 27th. Doesn't this essentially mean that if you're on the waitlist of one school, but were accepted to another, you essentially (unless you're an idiot) have to take the spot you were accepted at?

That was the original idea :) Suppose to make it as you say more efficient, basically moving things perhaps 2 weeks faster.

Yes, if there is no WL movement before the 27th, those with an acceptance + a waitlist will drop their WL position. How is this fair though? If you only got WLed, you're going to have to wait. The benefit for you this year is that the wait is a bit shorter. What about those with an acceptance + a WL, but the preferred school is the WLed school? Why don't we have the right to wait it out and see if we actually get off the WL? This is especially important at Western because they have a high WL and a normal WL, which means that if you're on the high WL you know that you have a VERY good chance of eventually getting in.

Yes, if there is no WL movement before the 27th, those with an acceptance + a waitlist will drop their WL position. How is this fair though? If you only got WLed, you're going to have to wait. The benefit for you this year is that the wait is a bit shorter. What about those with an acceptance + a WL, but the preferred school is the WLed school? Why don't we have the right to wait it out and see if we actually get off the WL? This is especially important at Western because they have a high WL and a normal WL, which means that if you're on the high WL you know that you have a VERY good chance of eventually getting in.

yeah man, that sucks

by the way, why do you think you were rejected from Toronto? Anything bad happen in the interview? or are you surprised?

What about those with an acceptance + a WL, but the preferred school is the WLed school? Why don't we have the right to wait it out and see if we actually get off the WL?

So true! Accepted at Mac and good WL at Ottawa. I'm currently living in Ottawa and not looking to relocate - why can't I get a chance at the Ottawa WL? lol

I just spoke to McMaster admissions office and they stated that as soon as a spot becomes available, they will offer it to the next person on the waitlist and NOT wait till after May 27.

Personally, I am happy McMaster is taking this approach! :)

So true! Accepted at Mac and good WL at Ottawa. I'm currently living in Ottawa and not looking to relocate - why can't I get a chance at the Ottawa WL? lol

I emailed Ottawa out of curiosity to see if they would also follow uoft and macs policy of offering spots on the waitlist as soon as they are available. I asked Ottawa that since UofT would be offering spots on the waitlist prior to May 27, will Ottawa also follow the same system? She said Ottawa would only offer waitlist spots after May 27. So you might as well accept your offer at Mac. I understand your problem in relocating but I cannot feel bad since I am on the waitlist for three schools.

Archived