Premed 101 Forums

How much time are you spending on organic chemistry?

metukah

So the trend seems to be that there is less organic chemistry in the BS section... (correct me if I'm wrong)...

How much time are you guys devoting to O-chem studying..there is a lot to know/memorize...and the chances that you'll see it in question form is probably low. Then again, it may be for some reason there's a higher than normal amount of ochem questions...

From the info that I've gathered over the past ~3 years (based on what past MCAT writers have said) it seems like the BS section used to be ~25% ochem. However, it appears that the amount of ochem content seems to be increasing to around 33-40%.

My point is, I wouldn't assume that the trend is that there's a low percent of ochem content. Then again, my info comes from the experience of past teat-takers, rather than an official source (aamc).

• 2 weeks later...

My experiences with the evil MCAT beast had heavy focus on organic...so while you may luck out with one of those exams with only 1 passage and a few stand alones I would not count on it...and also keep in mind that getting a higher score on BS that is easier (ie. less orgo) means having to get a higher number of raw questions correct. Everything is relative.

I wrote May 21st 2010. Definitely commit a decent amount of time to studying (and more importantly understanding) the organic chem section... the orgo questions seemed to be a bit more straightforward than some of the biology questions.

Archived