Premed 101 Forums

Waiting list

Guest wassabi101

Guest wassabi101

Hey guys!

Has anybody gotten off the in-province waiting list yet?

Does anyone have a better idea of when it starts moving more quickly ;) ?

Thanks!

-wassabi

Guest dfenst

hey wassabi,

I was on the waitlist last year, so I know the wait is tense. I can tell you that this June 15th is the day our first deposit becomes non-refundable, and I think it's the day OMSAS people have to choose a school, so that might be a time someone might decide to jump ship. I don't know forsure, but believe 5 people were taken off the list last year, one of which in the last few days before school started.

Dan

Guest wassabi101

Thanks for the info dfenst...

You would think that the first 7 would have been called by now!! McGill's list seems to move so much slower than the other schools...!! How frustrating....

good luck to you cutieyellow! Hopefully something will come through!

-wassabi

Guest medicator007

Best of luck to those playing the waiting game.

In general McGill's In-province waiting list tends to move VERY slowly. Judging from what I know about our class, the first notices went out at the start of July and as mentioned elsewhere the last one went out the day before class for a grand total of 5 people being taken off the list.

Certainly not as much as the Ontario schools, but then again, for many anglophone quebecers this is their only In-province school and thus their best chance... not many are going to turn it down if they get in!

Good luck to all,

Medicator

Guest wassabi101

Hey there!

Thanks for your input! I'm not on the waiting list at McGill but one of my friends is, so I was just inquiring on her behalf.

Good luck to all still waiting!

-wassabi

Guest waitingformcgill

I dropped by admissions Friday, and they said "4 or 5" ppl have gotten off the in-province waitlist. Apparently about half the CEGEP waitlist pool (~10) has been called on already! Frustrating, isn't it?

Hopefully, like last year, there will be at least a few more places opening up right up until when school starts. But the fact is, Ontario schools have seen a markedly higher rate of applications this year, which makes it a bit less likely that someone offered a spot at McGill (or even a waitlist spot) will be offered a seat in Ontario this year...and provide some much-needed waitlist movement here!!!

cutieyellow, hang in there! I suspect there is more waitlist movement at the francophone schools.

Guest medicator007

I would imagine that the CEGEP waitlist tends to move faster because many of the applicants would also have applied to the 3 other med-p programs in the province, and with many applicants coming from outside of Montreal i`d suspect several people would choose (Sherbrooke and Laval) closer schools.

I think you certainly have a valid point concerning the effect of increased ontario applications on the McGill waiting list. With the increased numbers the last few years in Ontario there has apparantly been a corresponding decline in the number of people getting in off of the In-Province waitlist.

However, as mentioned earlier, I believe the fact that there are 3 francophone schools in Quebec would make their waitlists move that much faster (much like in Ontario)... so best of luck to all of those waiting!:D

Medicator

Guest wassabi101

Thanks for the insight and info guys! :D

Personally, I think there wouldn't be a lot of francophone students that would also apply to McGill for several reasons.

First, McGill is in English, and for Montreal/ Outaouais residents who are completely bilingual, that might be fine, but for students from Quebec City, Sherbrooke and north east, they're very unlikely to apply to McGill.

Secondly, and probably most importantly, none of the francophone universities in Quebec require an MCAT. I've been told by U of M university staff and some of my francophone friends that for students studying in the french system of Quebec, the way the MCAT is composed and the fact that it's only in English, convinces many students not to write it and hence not apply to McGill.

The most important flux of students I think are the bilingual students who have studied at one point in their lives in french (or not) who applied to McGill and are also applying to the french universities because of the ease of the application (money and internet form) and got in there but not at McGill.

That's my take! My friend who's waiting is at the beginning of the list so I do hope she'll be called soon! Please let me know if anyone finds out anything else!

Thanks,

-wassabi

Guest medicator007

Wassabi--

I can confirm WaitingforMcGill's statement that some people from the In-province list have indeed been accepted, though I have no information as to the amount.

Your rationale regarding francophone application to the McGill four year program seems bang on from what i can tell. Most if not all the french students in my class in that situation did some component of their post-CEGEP education in english. Of course things are rather different for the Med-P's who don't have to write the MCAT. As well there is the increasing (& intriguing) trend of anglophone students heading off to the french schools...

Wassabi, congrats again on ur acceptance to Ottawa. Though I was kind of looking forward to knowing one of the small group leaders this fall, never really been solid on epid. and the such;)

Cheers,

Medicator

Guest waitingformcgill

Wassabi,

I totally agree with your take on francophone applicants to McGill. I meant that with greater mvt in waitlists at the other Quebec schools, being waitlisted there is somewhat more promising than being an in-province undergrad waitlister at McGill. I think cutieyellow got the good old w. news from some of the other med schools in Quebec (is this right, cutieyellow?)...in which case, congrats (though it may not feel that way, I know) and I really hope that something will work out for you. -wfm

• 2 weeks later...
Guest wassabi101

Thanks Medicator for the congrats....I am in very hight spirits these days.....a little too much considering I have to submit my thesis in 5 weeks ;)

LOL Re Epi comment....well I'll make sure to tell Dr. Hanley and Dr. Pickering, though especially Dr. Hanley to look out for you nevertheless medicator. The most important thing to learn is that the randomized controlled trial has it's merits and it's faults and that a 95% CI is not the same thing as a p-value. Those are the two biggest misconceptions (and generally those topics) the med students have starting off, at least in my small group.

Good luck-

wassabi

Guest medicator007

Thanks Wassabi,

When it comes to anything involving number I need all the help I can get :eek

So RCT`s aren`t perfect and 95% CI aren`t the same as a p-value.... so if I just keep on mentioning this as the answer i`ll be fine right ;)

Best of luck with the final push towards the thesis... might be tough to stay on task... but FOCUS and then on to med :hat

Medicator

• 4 weeks later...
Guest cutieyellow

So a quick update :) I got into U Laval in Quebec city (i was 14th on the waiting list but they're up to like 34 or something now) so...yah....this list went pretty far (considering there's only 41 people on the list itself).... But..well, though this one moves, the one at Montreal is still at number 3...and the one from sherbrooke...well, i dunno but i haven't been called...no worries, attending school in Quebec city should be a blast... Thanks for all your well wishings, wishing you the best in the upcoming yrs !

Guest Blackbird15

That's great news, Cutieyellow! I bet you're so happy not to have to go through the application process again! It's a shame you won't be going to McGill, but at least you'll get a chance to improve your french! My french has pretty much gone down the toilet since I moved to Ontario to do my undergrad...

Blackbird

Guest cutieyellow

Thanks Blackbird and Waiting :rollin

I am indeed ecstatic. Although i would have liked going to McGill, i didn't actually apply there. I only had like a 28 on my MCATs (11 Verbal, 8 and 9 in biol./chem & Q in writing), i didn't think i would make the cutoff so i didn't bother spending all that money to get refused because of 'strict policies not allowing us to accept anyone with mcat scores below 30' unless my cGPA was like a 3.95.....which it wasn't :)

As for improving my french-i'm actually from a french background, there's not much improvement to be made...lol.... i guess i can practice on not losing my english rather...:eek

Thanks for your well wishes, hope everything turned out right for the both of you.

Guest medicator007

Congratulations on ur acceptance!

We'll be able to see you at Medgames this coming January in Sherbrooke...

Cheers,

Medicator

Guest mcgillsweetie

Hi Cutieyellow,

I am also a fellow waitlister who got into Laval this year!!

Congrats! I am sure you are as excited as I am.....

Did you receive the intiation package from Laval? The events seem a little wild huh? I sure it will set the stage for a lot of fun...

As for you being afraid of losing your English...I have a suggestion: I can help you retain your English and perhaps, you can help with my French:\ ..I am an anglophone who has always gone to English school...that is one of the reasons why i wanted to attend French Medical school...After four years of being immersed in French, I will be 100% bilingual.

I don't know anyone there who is studying medicine...how is the program?

Have a great rest of the summer, cutieyellow. I will see you on September 2nd. Congrats once again.

mcgillsweetie

Guest cutieyellow

My last comment was edited (HTML ?! since when do i use HTML?!)

Anyhow, to summarize it, i am skipping initiation to unpack and though i am sure that it's a great event to meet people, i think that making my apt a home rather than just an empty place with boxes everywhere, is important...:rollin

As for keeping my english, i will keep your word to it McGsweetie...And don't be too worried about french. Everything will go just fine. I did 5 yrs of schooling in english before going back for one yr in french (did pharmacy last yr) and it went a lot better than i thought it would... And plus textbooks are cheaper in english ...

As for the program, it's a bit of everything. It's all kind of classes, whether they be the big ones in auditoriums, the smaller groups of 30ish or the small PBL sessions. Laval believes in teaching different methods b/c people learn differently. Which when you think about it, is feasible...

Looking forward to meeting you.

Marie

Guest Ian Wong

Hi Marie,

It's a quirk of the forum programming. If you type out arrows like this => or ==>, except that you use a single - instead of the double = symbols, this is interpreted as HTML code and your message gets gobbled up.

It's a real pain, but unfortunately there's nothing I can do about it as it's intrinsic to the forum software itself.

Ian

Guest cutieyellow

Ian,

no worries...it was just funny that it said that i used html when, as far as i was concerned, i only wrote words ;) maybe i invented some secret language...lol

Guest mcgillsweetie

Cutieyellow,

Good luck with the move.

I am also leaving my family, friends, and boyfriend in Montreal. :rolleyes I know how you are feeling with respect to leaving such a great city.

I went up this weekend to beginning moving (mildly) into my new place. Quebec City, particularly Sainte-Foy, is a really nice place....very serene and scenic:D . My appartment is a 1 and a half and is a 20 minute walk to school. How is yours?

Laura

Archived