Premed 101 Forums

Do med schools verify your EC's?

You generally have to provide contact info for a "verifier", someone who they can call and ask if you actually did whatever activity. It'd be pretty stupid to lie on your application though. I think if they catch you on something like that, they'd probably ban you from applying again and pass your name on to all the other Canadian schools. sigh...

Yeah you need a verifier. I'm not 100% positive on this but I believe that only contact verifiers once you've made the interview process, and won't necessarily contact all of your verifiers. But it would be suicidal to fake an EC, because remember your EC's need to stand out from the crowd, and the ones that do will most likely be contacted. I'm sure someone could BS volunteering at a food bank for 2-3 months but i highly doubt that would carry much weight against other EC's.

The thing is you could theoretically put a dishonest friend as your verifier... Of course, you better hope your friend is a damn good liar if they start asking him/her for details about your "clinical work".

This is one of those things where you're probably not going to get caught if you make up one or two activities - but if you do, you're screwed for life. Not to mention that it's wrong in principle.

Seriously, it's better to be honest. Both in principle and practically.

Or do what this guy did: http://voices.washingtonpost.com/campus-overload/2010/05/former_harvard_student_accused.html

I know someone who faked some sports activities and heard through the grapevine about someone who supposedly faked RESEARCH!! OMG!! The person i know got waitlisted... and im hoping that the research faker... if true... did in fact get banned for life from applying

I know someone who faked some sports activities and heard through the grapevine about someone who supposedly faked RESEARCH!! OMG!! The person i know got waitlisted... and im hoping that the research faker... if true... did in fact get banned for life from applying

Ugghhhh this makes me cringe. To anyone who is considering it, please don't fake anything, terrible way to start off a career where the expectation is that you will display honesty and integrity and a sense of fairness. Also it's pathetic.

Ugghhhh this makes me cringe. To anyone who is considering it, please don't fake anything, terrible way to start off a career where the expectation is that you will display honesty and integrity and a sense of fairness. Also it's pathetic.

There will always be people faking this kinda stuff, I'd say just do your own part and be honest yourself. I mean lets face it, med is not impossible to get in w/o faking a resume. Med is quite reasonable in terms of what kind of EC you need. So actually doing them is not that bad and in fact will help you a great deal later on in life.

I have also known someone who faked ECs on an application...and this person was accepted. It's so disheartening because you CAN get in without faking (most of us do, I hope!), and the spirit of the ethics required by the profession should be something you live all the time--it's right in principle, and it's right as a professional and professional-to-be.

Guest viscous

I wonder how people kept track of their activities down to the very second when they list them in their autobiographical sketch. I guess we can say there is a difference in intentional lying and unintentional lie, especially when you cannot really accurately mention how many hours, minutes and seconds you have spent on certain EC?

Then throw in the problem where people would mention an EC which they did in reality but they will subtlety blow their responsibilities out of proportions.

I guess it boils down to one's conscience and moral compass.

I wonder how people kept track of their activities down to the very second when they list them in their autobiographical sketch. I guess we can say there is a difference in intentional lying and unintentional lie, especially when you cannot really accurately mention how many hours, minutes and seconds you have spent on certain EC?

Then throw in the problem where people would mention an EC which they did in reality but they will subtlety blow their responsibilities out of proportions.

I guess it boils down to one's conscience and moral compass.

Sugar-coating your activities and straight up BSing are two different things. In terms of tracking your work and hours it's a bit of guess work. I don't think the ad-com is going to care if you say you did 50 hours at place X but really only did 40. Some places don't even have electronic records, or are just word of mouth stuff that isn't official.

I have also known someone who faked ECs on an application...and this person was accepted. It's so disheartening because you CAN get in without faking (most of us do, I hope!), and the spirit of the ethics required by the profession should be something you live all the time--it's right in principle, and it's right as a professional and professional-to-be.

the person actually got in? did they verify anything on their sketch/how serious was the activity(or activities) he lied about...just something small or major?

I mean if someone has connections or can just lie about EC's? For example I can go to my home country and tell them i volounteered at a clinic? Just wondering how medical schools can make sure you actually did what you told them...

What are the consequences of lying anyway? Does anybody know?

I heard that if the lies on your app are big enough, you get to bypass med school entirely. Can anyone confirm?

Yeah I know a guy who said he ended world hunger on his ECs. They gave him the MD and put him straight into residency, plus a 100k merit scholarship.

Archived