Premed 101 Forums

Already have a degree.. Can I take a 5th year @ a different school to improve GPA?

I already have a degree from U of T, but my CGPA is only 3.1 (4th yr was a 3.5). Would it be possible for me to take another year at a different university(visiting student/no degree) and have these extra courses added into my OMSAS GPA?

On a similar note.. I've already been accepted into the Kine program at York for a second degree, but I'm seeing that it may take me 2 years to complete it. Would it be possible for me to apply after the first year of that second degree, and also have those courses averaged into the GPA?

Which Canadian schools accept this sorta thing?

Correct me if i'm wrong, but people have mentioned UWO requires both years to be completed. Since they require the whole degree to be completed. But queens, Ottawa, mac (i think), uoft (i think) doesn't matter. I do believe that you have a small to none chance of getting in to any of the those schools b/c your gpa is below the cuttoff. If you get >3.8 gpa you should meet all the cuttoffs, but a higher gpa will make you more competitive. So in my opinion on your situation is that you will need 2 or maybe 3 years to become a competitive applicant. I also advise you to take york seriously because even though kine might be easier compared to a life science degree, a 3.5 is still pretty low, even considering the difference in difficulty. So if you really work hard get a competitive gpa you should be in good shape. Best of luck.

Archived