Premed 101 Forums

CGPA

Guest 610chtm

Guest 610chtm

Can someone tell me how the CGPA is calculated at McGill. I have a commerce degree and am considering going back and getting a Science Degree then applying into the MD-MBA program. I have a poor GPA from commerce (due to working full time and lack of studying)...and therefore I am thinking of getting a science degree to get a kickin' GPA this time around. Advice welcome!! :D

Guest McGillGrad

McGill Medical School will look at your last 90 credits. That means that your science degree will count as 60 credits (b/c you usually only need 60 degrees for a 2nd degree) and the last 30 credits will carry a GPA of your first degree.

So if you have a 4.0 for the science degree and if you had a poor GPA of 3.0 for your commerce degree, then McGill would consider your CGPA as two-thirds of the 4.0 and one-third of your 3.0 so you would have an approximate CGPA of 3.66.

Guest Chris0000009

Can anyone here comment on how McGill computes the GPA for OOP applicants. I am currently going into my fourth year and am wondering if they would just average my three previous years or do they take the best two or weight the years differently? Does an OOP GPA of 3.7 or above and MCAT scores over 30 gaurantee an interview?

Thanks to all,

Chris

Guest medicator007

Chris,

McGill will look at all of your undergraduate years when computing the CGPA. The formula is rather simple:

Sum of [ GPA per class x Credits per class] divided by total number of credits attempted.

As for guaranteeing an interview, I don't think anything really ever guarantees this, especially in the OOP pool. Though certainly having a GPA over 3.7, high MCAT score and a well written essay go a long way to locking up an interview spot.

Medicator

Guest McGillGrad

I have spoken to the admissions advisors and they have assured me that if you complete a 2nd undergraduate degree (with 90 credits), then they will not consider the GPA from your 1st undergrad degree.

If your 2nd degree is only 60 credits then they will evaluate it the way I posted previously.

***********Quote**************

McGill will look at all of your undergraduate years when computing the CGPA. The formula is rather simple:

Sum of [ GPA per class x Credits per class] divided by total number of credits attempted.

As for guaranteeing an interview, I don't think anything really ever guarantees this, especially in the OOP pool. Though certainly having a GPA over 3.7, high MCAT score and a well written essay go a long way to locking up an interview spot.

Medicator

****************End Quote**************

Guest medicator007

McGill Grad,

You are correct, they will only look at your last 90 credits as you pointed out. Didn't read chris' post properly.

Thanks,

Medicator

Guest biczippome

Hey guys, what if you did 60 credits in the second degree, but prior to that, you had 30 credits as a special student (not counted towards any degree)? How would they consider that? Would they just take the GPA of the 30 credits and average it with the 60 credits from your second degree?

Guest medicator007

Good question... one that is certainly far beyond my knowledge. Best bet would be to give a call to the nice ladies over at admissions. They'd be best able to answer that for you.

Archived