Premed 101 Forums

Research?

G.O.B

So I started my summer job doing research. I was pretty uninformed as to what I was signing up for. The research is in the health services field and it appears the majority of my summer is going to be pubmedding and medlining articles, reading and summarizing. While we haven't gotten into what I am doing in the future I am curious as to other peoples experiences in a non lab research job.

What exactly do you do for 15 weeks??

Nice, finally something I can talk about, lol. I did this once for epilepsy, and it definitely still counts as research. You've got the right idea in that there is a LOT of reading. Effectively, try and come up with as much direct info as possible. So with mine, in trying to understand the comorbidity of epilepsy and cerebral palsy (surprisingly high), I did my best to find papers and summaries that directly calculated the risk of the two from patient populations.

In my eyes, this kind of research can be harder, as it can be rather self-directed and requires some originality. For instance, another aspect of my research was to evaluate the views of epilepsy in different ethnic communities, so I actually tried contacting as many ethnic community organizations as possible. By doing this, I managed to get a quote from an Epilepsy chapter in South Africa. :eek: The trick is, be creative.

I spent a week in the basement of a library staring at plate-stacks. Thought it was horrible at the time, but now...I would looooove to go and redo it.

Me too! But you probably could have guessed that. And yes it was horrible. And so cold down there.

No, after the first time I decided that I would just download data from the AAVSO. I need data for at least 30 stars, and after 10 days down there I only got through 3, and the data I got was pretty crappy because I didn't have a good sequence set up. And that staircase was terrifying!!

No, after the first time I decided that I would just download data from the AAVSO. I need data for at least 30 stars, and after 10 days down there I only got through 3, and the data I got was pretty crappy because I didn't have a good sequence set up. And that staircase was terrifying!!

I felt that just staring at them caused way too much error (my errors, lol)--I was a first year and had no freaking idea why I was staring at those stars. Lol.

30! Holy crap. I think I had 3-5.

Archived