Premed 101 Forums

Pre-Med 4 Dummies: How to be a strong applicant.

Guest Alby187

Guest Alby187

Hey everyone,

After looking thorugh this forum, i think what we need is a topic about what one can do to be a strong applicant for pre-med.

For those who got in, or for those who have a good feeling about getting in, what did you do besides doing well in school to become a strong candidate? Please put down any activities (extra-curriculars, work experience, research, volunteering, etc.) you did which you think helped you get into pre-med.

Also any general advice on which activities one should do to become a strong applicant would be greatly welcomed.

Thanks, lets make this a great topic

• 2 weeks later...
Guest ilikesheep

I was waitlisted for pre-med at McGill, but eventually got in anyway. I got a lot of advice from my academic advisor on how to be a good candidate. In no particular order, I was vice president of an honours society, part of the student government, had volunteer work at the Montreal Children's Hospital, had volunteer work at a cancer outreach program, had organized a hockey tournament w/ proceeds going to the MCH, did a bit of tutoring and was on one of the school's sports team.

But all of this would have been useless had I not had the CRC. So, study hard :)

I was fluent in French, so I applied to the other three french med schools too. Extra-curriculars aren't as important for them though (ie, UofM had a little paper you filled out on which you can mention it, Sherbrooke only has that personality test, but Laval has a letter similar to McGill).

Hope this helps.

Archived