Premed 101 Forums

Where's the love in this forum?

Guest dfenst

Guest dfenst

Is it because people are still waiting to hear from other schools or are in the middle of finals or something? :\

Anyways, I think we should get things going in here. What's everyone doing this summer? I need to live vicariously through you as I'll be spending this summer finishing up my Masters. It goes through the end of July, so that'll only leave me 2 weeks before orientation to settle into an apartment and maybe get a round of golf in.

Looking forward to meeting you all Aug 13.

Dan

Guest G8M8T

Hi Dan, I am slowly wrapping up my grad school obligations in Toronto. I am going to Czech at the end of June to visit my parents and see my first niece for the first time. I am planning on coming to Montreal at the end of July to hunt for an apartment. A friend of mine who lives in Montreal offered to let me stay at his place for a few days and help me find a good place to live. Let me know what your plans are for living arrangements. You can send me a private message with your e-mail. I would send you my e-mail but your Ezboard inbox is still disabled. Hope all is going well down south for you. Take care.

Guest bearman14

Hey Guys,

Sounds like there will be a few grad students in our class. I just had my defense last Friday, and am in the process of finishing up my revisions (which explains why I haven't posted anything here for a while).

As for what I'll be doing this summer, well, seeing as I'll be moving away from my beloved Rocky Mountains, my wife and I are planning to spend 5-7 days lost in the backcountry (one last 'kick at the can', so to speak) and get in some good climbing and backpacking. Other than that, I have to finish up some work here doing more boring research :P

Are any of you in Montreal right now? I'll be heading there June 9-12 to look for a place to live (and a job for my bread-winner), and would be interested in hooking up with any incoming or current students. It would be cool to meet some of you before Aug 13th. Let me know if any of you are around.

Danny

Guest dfenst

I should be in Montreal the first 2 weeks of June or so before getting back to Long Island to finish up my Masters. I'm from Montreal but have been away for the last year, so I also need to find living accommodations. If you want to meet up, just let me know.

Dan

Guest md2b2006

hey newbies!

Sorry to be neglecting your excitement and requests for anecdotes, but we had to take a break and pay homage to the library deities. We just had the neuro unit (#6) and are coming to the final stretch before the "last summer".

Here are some of the things you can look forward to in the coming year if history repeats itself:

1- an incredibly diverse student body in age/social/educational background

2- that despite our differences and that we spend all day together, every day (yes... it's high school), we still get together at night and weekends.

3- from what I have experienced, there is NO competition and therefore NO backstabbing in the class. A pass/fail system is one of the greatest gifts that the faculty has given us (besides an acceptance letter :) ). Anytime anyone has anything that may be remotely helpful, it is sent out to the class. I personally think it keeps things a lot friendlier than faculties like law, where you are ranked from day 1.

4- despite the fact that med school is really challenging, you can still, and are encouraged to, have a life. We have professional caliber athletes and musicians in our class, and people working jobs and raising families despite being med students. It is hard, but great.

5- mcgill med students party a lot... especially after finals. :x

6- expect your sense of humour to get really corny. You will incorporate jokes about embryological anomalies into discussions about why professor so-and-so's hair looks a particular way. Embrace it.

7- you will... at some point... get burned out/bored of studying all the time. You will log onto this website to pass the time ;) .

Just so you know, our class is really excited to meet you guys. We still occasionally step back and giggle excitedly about the fact that we are going to be doctors/dentists, so you can look forward to keeping that great feeling you must be having for quite a bit longer.

keep on posting questions and we will try to answer them. Also, definitely check out our class website (http://www.nghe.ca) for photos, videos, and discussions...

Guest dfenst

Once I found out I was accepted, I logged on to your student site and checked out most of the videos of your class. I'm not exactly sure what was with that moustache video, but I'm sure the "had to be there" response applies well. ;)

Dan

Guest medicator007

Yeah that is a fairly good excuse... suffice it to say, that next year when u stop shaving all together in preparation for the final (you will!).... contests such as that don't seem nearly as bizzare!

Medicator

Archived