Premed 101 Forums

Question for rural application- hunting experience

Hi!

I'm a newbie here, so be kind. A quick question I would like to get opinions on....

I am extremely interested in the rural programs offered by UBC and NOSM.

I was planning on including my firearms certificate and hunting experience in the "rural suitability" section.

Here's the question- I mentioned this to a friend this past weekend and he was thinking it might be seen negatively, as though I have a "I wanna kill stuff" attitude (which is funny if you know me- that is not my attitude at all).

I'm just looking for a few opinions. I think that anyone evaluating the rural section is going to understand that hunting experience is a big deal, and an important factor if you are going to "fit in" and be accepted in certain rural communities.

Thanks for any feedback!

~Ky

I would put it in. Hunting is very often a part of rural life. Half the kids in my highschool had a gun license (you could do the certification in school) and had gone hunting or fishing at least once.

a lot of the kids in my school hunted regularly too. none of them went to university. i'd leave it out. you would be taking much more of a risk by including this info in your application than by leaving it out.

a lot of the kids in my school hunted regularly too. none of them went to university. i'd leave it out. you would be taking much more of a risk by including this info in your application than by leaving it out.

Why is he taking a risk?

It's a great experience I think and definitely suitable to more of a rural region than an urban one

Why is he taking a risk?

It's a great experience I think and definitely suitable to more of a rural region than an urban one

Exactly! If you really like hunting, there's no harm in including it. Another thing to demonstrate your passion in the interview. I don't think there's anything wrong with it.

Hmm... I'd be wary about it too. Maybe tell them you have experience "with hunters"? Then you're not directly putting yourself AS a hunter, but also saying you know that it can be a part of a rural lifestyle. I think that people are very opinionated about hunting, and you don't want to risk your career because of someone's opinion

This is very interesting- lots of responses, thanks!

BTW- I am a girl, for those of you who assumed I was a guy. I think that's part of the reason I have never really thought about my hunting experience as making me seem too tough or uncouth, being a 5'3" 115-lb female I am never treated that way in real life.

Archived