Premed 101 Forums

Health Exam

Are you referring to the titers? They only asked me for my health card and haven't charged me anything to fill out the forms. It's sort of a lengthy process since I had to go to a lab that was not in-house to get my blood drawn; but even there I was not charged.

No worries, I changed family docs so many times that I had to call public health to get my vaccination dates. If you are in Hamilton you can go to Campus Health and get the TB test and titres ordered with your shiny new student number. They were super nice and helpful despite the fact you have to go offcampus for the bloodwork.

I just booked mine with my family doc and was told that it's not covered by OHIP. I didn't think to ask how much it was because I just figured there was no way around it and I wasn't planning on shopping around.

Did no one else have to pay a fee?

...when I visited my family physician re: the Health Screening Record. :confused:

I just booked mine with my family doc and was told that it's not covered by OHIP. I didn't think to ask how much it was because I just figured there was no way around it and I wasn't planning on shopping around.

Did no one else have to pay a fee?

They were supposed to charge me for the TB testing (but the doc then waived the fee because it's for med school and he was feeling generous), and everything else was free.

I would say it's possible that you'd have to pay a small fee (say $10-20) to get the form filled out, like you would pay for a doctor's note when ill, and perhaps another $40 for your Mantoux test. If they're trying to charge you exorbitant fees then I would try somewhere else.

^^ Ya, the clinic I went to said that it would be $140 - for a 15 min health exam, during which she would give me forms for the tests and stuff. But I think this price was quoted because I asked for a "health exam", which they took to mean a third party health exam (even though I explained that this was for med school).

I'm glad I told them I'd get back to them about the dates, since it gave me a chance to double check here.

^^ Ya, the clinic I went to said that it would be $140 - for a 15 min health exam...

Yeah, this strikes me as an exorbitant fee! I'm glad to re-considered...:)

...Police record on the other hand..40 bones. grrr.

Haha, really? HPS charged me $15 for mine...:confused:

I'm from BC so im not covered by OHIP and the grand total was $7.70. That was for the MMR/Hep/Varicella tires...TB was free through UWO health services.

Police record on the other hand..40 bones. grrr.

Good to know - now I know what to look out for.

Yeah, this strikes me as an exorbitant fee! I'm glad to re-considered...:)

Me too! :)

yea I should have waited to get in Hamilton next week when I go apartment hunting. Ah well. Drop in the bucket, right?

Does anyone know if all I need to do is drop by the police station and fill out the forms (with ID)? I'm going apartment hunting this weekend, so if I don't need to make a second appearance to pick it up, and if Hamilton is quicker and cheaper, then I definitely want to do it while I'm there. Apparently, here in Ottawa, it'll take many, many weeks.

Good to know - now I know what to look out for.

Me too! :)

Does anyone know if all I need to do is drop by the police station and fill out the forms (with ID)? I'm going apartment hunting this weekend, so if I don't need to make a second appearance to pick it up, and if Hamilton is quicker and cheaper, then I definitely want to do it while I'm there. Apparently, here in Ottawa, it'll take many, many weeks.

Yup! They were very quick to take care of me. You need two pieces of ID one of them has to be photo ID, your memo regarding the police check, money and the form (there is only one - the vulnerable sector one) prefilled if you want to take even less time.

Apparently, here in Ottawa, it'll take many, many weeks.

There's a crazy waiting time for a regular police check in Ottawa but you can just go down to the main police station on Elgin and they'll do an express one on the spot. It takes maybe 5 minutes and is really easy. It's ~$40, but then it saves you some hassle with trying to arrange things through Hamilton Police. Something to consider! :)

Yup! They were very quick to take care of me. You need two pieces of ID one of them has to be photo ID, your memo regarding the police check, money and the form (there is only one - the vulnerable sector one) prefilled if you want to take even less time.

Thanks!

There's a crazy waiting time for a regular police check in Ottawa but you can just go down to the main police station on Elgin and they'll do an express one on the spot. It takes maybe 5 minutes and is really easy. It's ~$40, but then it saves you some hassle with trying to arrange things through Hamilton Police. Something to consider! :)

Awesome! If I run out of time in Hamilton, this will be my back up plan.

Archived