Premed 101 Forums

Academic Discrepancy

There's a space in the OMSAS application to describe any discrepancies in your academic record. My 4th year of undergrad was bad (like a 3.2), but I was struggling with anxiety/depression. I have been treated and now I'm better than ever. I'm not sure if I should mention this though, because it might make it seem like I don't have the emotional strength to handle medicine.

Thoughts?

Mental/Emotional Health Concerns are rampant these days. It's something like 1 in 3 people have some form of episode that causes them to miss time from work/school/life/etc. I see absolutely no reason why that should be used against you especially if you can demonstrate how you have dealt with it as it will most likely be an ongoing issue.

Mental/Emotional Health Concerns are rampant these days. It's something like 1 in 3 people have some form of episode that causes them to miss time from work/school/life/etc. I see absolutely no reason why that should be used against you especially if you can demonstrate how you have dealt with it as it will most likely be an ongoing issue.
+1

I would mention it to avoid anyone looking at your trascript and not knowing why your 4th year is so low.

Aren't you the person that just said that interviewing someone with tattoos would have a significant impact on your impression? lol

Just because you don't see a reason that it should be used against you, doesn't mean that it wouldn't potentially bias the adcom reviewers/interviewees... whether right or not, there is a good chance it would affect someone's impression of you as a potential doc, and the OP's concern is a legitimate one... asking for special academic consideration due to anxiety may not be the best idea (but I could easily be wrong... just an opinion)... I agree with HBP - if you are still relatively competitive without mentioning it, I would give it a shot this year... if not, well then I guess there is not even much of a dilemma

Archived