Premed 101 Forums

really relaxing interviews

Guest multifish

Guest multifish

Hey, I'm an OOP and I just had my interview last weekend. It was my first, and much more

relaxing than I was expecting..only one person at a time and they were both surprisingly

casual...with one guy, I barely discussed meds at all (he was asking questions like, so what

do you think about when you're swimming?...very zen, very chill). I have a question, though:

when I was talking to these people, my prepped answers just went out the window, I just

talked right off the cuff and I'm worried that my answers might have sounded somewhat

incomplete. Is this a legit concern, I mean, do they really want to know who you are or are

they more interested in how you can present yourself?

Guest medicator007

Multifish,

Glad that you found the interviews relaxing, which is what i tried to tell all the OOP interviewees that I saw this weekend.

As for interpreting the interview, the simple answer really is DONT! I know its brutal but you can really spend hours and hours thinking over and questioning every single comment that you made. In general though, i think the interviewers are really just trying to get to know you better and that they would much prefer "off the cuff" answers that were honest than rehearsed responses.. but who knows.

All you can do now is just wait and see..... Its gonna be tough, I know.. but that's all you can do.

Cheers,

Medicator

PS.... anty feedback on the activities that were organized this weekend? Dinners, lunches...trips...etc?

hey medicator,

I interviewed on Monday, and I wanted to say thanks for all the work the med I's put into the interview weekend. I had a great time -- I only regret not getting there earlier! I found that everyone I met was really welcoming. You guys did a great job.

After being there, McGill is now my #1 choice... it's too bad the chance of getting in is low (there were 55 interviews for 8 spots?).

Like multifish, I found my interviews were relaxed. I'm glad we find out the decisions so soon.

medicator, were you around much? It would be nice to put a face to the name if we met each other while I was in Montreal.

Multifish - did you interview on Monday?

Guest multifish

I interviewed on Friday.

The activities were good overall..casual and friendly, although I didn't go to more than 2 or 3

of them. I believe there were some tours and I would have liked to get in on those, but

when were they? Never did find out.

Overall I liked McGill's style, and who doesn't love Montreal? But BCgirl's right, the odds suck

(I think there are actually 10 spots this year, with 9 available--one guy deferred last year).

I was told that there were 10 oop spots this year, but 1 is for someone that deferred and another one is taken up by an oop MD/MBA student (I guess they do 1 year of management to begin with and then start the MD part the next year), so it goes down to 8 spots.

Guest medicator007

Hey Guys!

Glad to see the overall consensus about the Interviews and the Activities were good.... the team that set out to organize those events for you guys really put some serious work into it, which is why I think that they went so well.

As for putting a name to the face, well... i was at the pre-interview dinner on thursday night (The paramedic w/ the degree in invertebrate biology) as well.. on monday while some of you were waiting for your second interview I was mingling amongst you all whilst skipping my Iron Metabolism lecture, convincing my classmates to do the same and trying to dispense last minute wisdom.... If i recall, i was wearing jeans and a hooded blue sweatshirt, overly sarcastic and repeatedly stating how incredible Dr. Daniels is as a teacher and interviewer.. hope that helps?

The MD/MBA folks do indeed do a year of MBA and then come join us for the MD to answer that question. Though I don't know anything vis a vis how many people interviewed for how many spots. Sorry

Cheers,

Medicator

Guest PhantomPhoenix

Nevermind...there is no difference in requirements...I just read it on the website.

Any chance it is easier to get into the combo degree

As an OOP, I will take any advantage possible...:rollin

Archived